Trombone Trios

Cotboneman

Trombone Trios

Post by Cotboneman »

I find that playing trombone trio music is, depending on the arranger or composer of course, a little more rewarding for the players. The parts tend to more interesting for everyone, and for us older guys, and guys who have been away from playing awhile, that first part doesn't always call for belting out high C's, or the 3rd part pedal F's all day. I'm thinking specifically of trios arrangements by Ostrander, or original collections by Pederson, Uber or even Premru.

I have access to a decent library, but was wondering if any one else had some favorites to suggest in building, or expanding a trio book, intermediate to advanced levels.
Last edited by Cotboneman on Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BGuttman

Re: Trombone Trios

Post by BGuttman »

I had a piece published by Kendor called "Trio for Trombones" by Beethoven. It was his "Abschiedgesang". It's a chorale and fugue and if the bass Trombone gets carried away kicking off the fugue the 1st and 2nd have to hang on for dear life.

Another trio I like is called "Trio for Trombones" by Mendelssohn. It's the Angel Trio from Elijah (Lift Thine Eyes). Very easy but pretty.

If I get a chance to look in my trio book I'll find more suggestions.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:19 pm I had a piece published by Kendor called "Trio for Trombones" by Beethoven. It was his "Abschiedgesang". It's a chorale and fugue and if the bass Trombone gets carried away kicking off the fugue the 1st and 2nd have to hang on for dear life.

Another trio I like is called "Trio for Trombones" by Mendelssohn. It's the Angel Trio from Elijah (Lift Thine Eyes). Very easy but pretty.

Is the book for purchase?

Edit: hey my name is elijah
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

My "book" is a folder with a collection of sheet music. You can buy anything I have from outfits like Hickey's or Sheet Music Plus.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 pm You can buy anything I have from outfits like Hickey's or Sheet Music Plus.
:good:

Thanks to places like Hickey's and Sheet Music Plus (and a few others), I have music to play during the current pandemic isolation. Let's try to keep them all in business by purchasing instead of borrowing / copying!
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:19 pm I had a piece published by Kendor called "Trio for Trombones" by Beethoven. It was his "Abschiedgesang". It's a chorale and fugue and if the bass Trombone gets carried away kicking off the fugue the 1st and 2nd have to hang on for dear life.

Yes that's a good one. I have that one, and yes, the bass trombone does go on a lark in the fugue! Thanks for looking!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've got a big quartet book, but not many trios. Of the trios I have, I've got two that are fun and good music. Jeff's Jaunt by David Stephen Powell is kinda jazzy with a couple high Cs in the 1st and 2nd parts. It's up tempo and fun. And then there's Triotje ("little trio" in Dutch) by Michael Eversden which is more modern, jazz rhythms, some complex meters, pedal notes in 3rd part. This one takes practice to pull it together mostly due to rhythm.
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:04 am I've got a big quartet book, but not many trios. Of the trios I have, I've got two that are fun and good music. Jeff's Jaunt by David Stephen Powell is kinda jazzy with a couple high Cs in the 1st and 2nd parts. It's up tempo and fun. And then there's Triotje ("little trio" in Dutch) by Michael Eversden which is more modern, jazz rhythms, some complex meters, pedal notes in 3rd part. This one takes practice to pull it together mostly due to rhythm.
I'll look them up, thanks!
torobone

Post by torobone »

I played trios with two bassoons, and one of them was pretty good at finding free stuff. Some ideas:

Boismoitier trios - only for flute, but nicely transcribed for 3 trombones. 1st is in tenor clef
https://www.free-scores.com/free-sheet- ... -lichtmann

Musescore: - library has a lot of trios. you might fix some arrangements. For example, many arrangement only put the melody & really fun stuff in the 1st part.
Celloexpressions: some decent stuff, although some need fixing
IMSLP
tubapeter: most are pretty cheesy

Bassoon arrangements by Speer & Hook - very playable.

We have about 60
Martin Hubel
Tenors: Yamaha 891Z, 354, 697Z (on loan)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1942 NY Bach 50B
Alto: 1980 Bach 39
Lidl Bass Trumpet (on loan)
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

torobone wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:20 pm I played trios with two bassoons, and one of them was pretty good at finding free stuff. Some ideas:

Boismoitier trios - only for flute, but nicely transcribed for 3 trombones. 1st is in tenor clef
https://www.free-scores.com/free-sheet- ... -lichtmann

Musescore: - library has a lot of trios. you might fix some arrangements. For example, many arrangement only put the melody & really fun stuff in the 1st part.
Celloexpressions: some decent stuff, although some need fixing
IMSLP
tubapeter: most are pretty cheesy

Bassoon arrangements by Speer & Hook - very playable.

We have about 60
Very good resource! Thank you for the links, I'll check them out.
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

The Allen Chase trios are kind of fun.

https://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku034043.php

There are a few others on youtube. I personally like the March and Stiff Riff.
Last edited by fsgazda on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I also really like the trombone trio way more than trombone quartet. The Brian Lynn trios are really good. I think there are three of them: Steak and Kidney Supper, Ba-Dee-Doo-Dup, and Bachy Things. The believe the 2nd movement in Steak and Kidney Supper has pedal D's in the bass trombone part but it might be optional. Hickeys has all three listed in their catalog. There are several arrangements of the Bach Sinfonia's done by Ralph Sauer that are fantastic. There is also a Pergolesi Trio Sonata that Sauer arranged that is really nice as well. Last one Britten's Fanfare for St Edmundsbury. This was originally written for 3 trumpets, but works equally as well for 3 trombones. Unfortunately some of the really good stuff is no longer in print. Some of these definitely have 1st parts that go exceedingly high just an FYI.
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

MTbassbone wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:58 pm I also really like the trombone trio way more than trombone quartet. The Brian Lynn trios are really good. I think there are three of them: Steak and Kidney Supper, Ba-Dee-Doo-Dup, and Bachy Things. The believe the 2nd movement in Steak and Kidney Supper has pedal D's in the bass trombone part but it might be optional. Hickeys has all three listed in their catalog. There are several arrangements of the Bach Sinfonia's done by Ralph Sauer that are fantastic. There is also a Pergolesi Trio Sonata that Sauer arranged that is really nice as well. Last one Britten's Fanfare for St Edmundsbury. This was originally written for 3 trumpets, but works equally as well for 3 trombones. Unfortunately some of the really good stuff is no longer in print. Some of these definitely have 1st parts that go exceedingly high just an FYI.
Great! I'll investigate, thanks!
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

fsgazda wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:10 pm The Allen Chase trios are kind of fun.

https://www.hickeys.com/search/products/sku034043.php

There are a few others on youtube. I personally like the March and Stiff Riff.
Awesome, thanks!
torobone

Post by torobone »

Another small resource:

http://www.ritchietrombonechoir.com/music.html

Two trios of note:
The 3 movements of the Beethoven's Suite from the Mount of Olives. Very playable, particularly the 2nd movement.

Premru's Felicity
Martin Hubel
Tenors: Yamaha 891Z, 354, 697Z (on loan)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1942 NY Bach 50B
Alto: 1980 Bach 39
Lidl Bass Trumpet (on loan)
Draagyn

Post by Draagyn »

We played a really fun arrangement of one of Corelli's Sonata da Chiesa for quintet - one of the most rewarding Renaissance arrangements I've ever played - which made me discover an arrangement of the same one for 'bone trio:

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/so ... c/18493815

I also really enjoy playing the Bach tuba duets/trios by Daniele Augustine, they're great for working your low range. Dr. Donn Schaeffer at the University of Utah showed me the light with those. He would actually be a great resource for finding more trios.
Do what you love,
Love what you do.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I remember a colleague having a book by Dhelemmes with duets, trios, and quartets. Don't remember the title, though.

I have a book called (in German) "Intonation Studies" by Robert Muller. Had excerpts from symphonic literature with critical trombone parts (all 3) so you could work on locking them in.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Paul Gay. Chorale. Beautiful piece.
Bach Chorales, vols. 1 and 2, arr. Donald Miller. Excellent for intonation, and matching articulations and endings of notes.
Corelli sonatas are very nice. There are several different pieces and several arrangers.
Pachelbel/Yeo Sonata is also very nice.

As suggested above, Hickey’s and other shops are good places to browse. They are adding new stuff all the time.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Driswood

Post by Driswood »

I have a few sets of Tommy Pederson trios. They are great! Sadly, they are out of print and not easy to find.
Jerry Walker

Happily Retired :good:

1957 Conn 6H
Schilke 47B
1989 Yamaha YSL-684G
Bach 6 3/4C
momentum

Post by momentum »

Wuorinen has a nice trombone trio:

And a quartet:
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I recall playing the trombone trio "Azure Skies" in 8th grade.

I don't recommend it.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

Another good source of printable pdf files of trombone ensembles, as well as brass ensembles, which I have discovered can be found at Clarinet Institute of Los Angeles (www.clarinetinstitute.com). I'm sure members here have explored this site, but I had not until recently. There's enough stuff here to keep a retired guy who is continuing in isolation from the pandemic (at least until I'm vaccinated) busy for a while. :)

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”