Who in their right mind plays a Bach 1 1/2G ??

ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

I switched to a 1 and 1/2G 2 years ago. Was it an easy transition? NO! Am I glad I stuck with it? Absolutely. My sound is more focused, warmer, and wider than it ever was with my previous 60 sized pieces. I was skeptical it would all work out but it did and I couldn't be happier. I have no problem matching in a section of 2 Edwards with huge mouthpieces. The proof is in the recordings and feedback from the other section players. Whatever sound we each have in our heads is the sound we produce-plain and simple. And for anyone out there who thinks that bass trombonists don't use the 1 and 1/2G any more you don't work in and around New York. There are plenty of excellent players who still use a 1 and 1/2G. Maybe I'll start a support group: "My name is Bill Whitaker and I use a 1 and 1/2G."  Image
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Jan 29, 2011, 06:30AM And for anyone out there who thinks that bass trombonists don't use the 1 and 1/2G any more you don't work in and around New York. There are plenty of excellent players who still use a 1 and 1/2G. Maybe I'll start a support group: "My name is Bill Whitaker and I use a 1 and 1/2G."  Image

The references to professional bass trombonists not using 1.5g was for those in major professional orchestras. Sam and Gabe have also mentioned that the 1.5g is alive and well in the commercial scene.
ttf_wgwbassbone

Post by ttf_wgwbassbone »

Quote from: GetzenBassPlayer on Jan 29, 2011, 09:41AMThe references to professional bass trombonists not using 1.5g was for those in major professional orchestras. Sam and Gabe have also mentioned that the 1.5g is alive and well in the commercial scene.

If I missed the reference to "major professional orchestras" I apologize. After 70 pages my head is spinning. However to assume that myself and other 1 and 1/2G players are only  "alive and well in the commercial scene" is a bit inaccurate and stereotypical. As I stated before I believe how we sound is up to us as individuals.  I know 1G players who are "alive and well in the commercial scene" because that's what they do. Of all of the members here on the forum that I know I have only heard 2 members actually play live. One's a tenor trombonist and the other a bass trombonist. The bass trombonist plays on a 1 and 1/2G and has a beautiful round and warm sound that's suited for any style of performance. It can be done if one chooses to go that route.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm going to learn bass, and everyone says I should use 1.5 g I am planning on starting next week
ttf_GetzenBassPlayer

Post by ttf_GetzenBassPlayer »

Quote from: wgwbassbone on Jan 30, 2011, 05:58AMIf I missed the reference to "major professional orchestras" I apologize. After 70 pages my head is spinning. However to assume that myself and other 1 and 1/2G players are only  "alive and well in the commercial scene" is a bit inaccurate and stereotypical.

Check out reply 1349 and here http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,23254.msg509528/topicseen.html#msg509528
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

This thread is long and the same things is said over and over again.
Professional tenor trombonists use sizes from 12C (and smaller) to 4G (and bigger) with big success, depending on their goals and chops and work.
Professional bass trombonists use sizes from 2G (and smaller)to 1G and bigger with great success.
Lots of players in their right mind plays Bach 1 1/2G, not so many as it used to be obviously, partly because the inconsistency of Bach mouthpieces.
Lots of players in their right mind plays the size of 1G and bigger, because they sound good on the pieces, and their sound work in their environment.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

This thread now seems to be annoying more members than it is informing. If anyone has anything new to say, feel free to post, but if we are subject to another rehearsal of themes already dealt with I will have to reluctantly lock this thread.

Chris Stearn
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Perhaps (if someone were willing to do the work) we could distill the good from this thread, and keep the catchy title? 

I think sometimes we all lose sight of what this site is meant to be: a source of knowledge to accompany the study of the trombone.  We have a lot of good (yet competing) contributions from our more knowledgeable members on the subject.  These contributions could be used to form the basis of an article titled something along the lines of "Trends in Equipment Choices for the Bass Trombonist or Who in Their Right Mind Plays a Bach 1.5G."  Make it an article, not a thread, so it doesn't get overloaded with the kind of back-and-forth sniping that tends to derail these otherwise informative threads.  Of course an article would necessarily contain some over-generalizations to which those contributing would have to look past for the sake of clarity.  It would necessarily explain trends according to region, style, necessity, matching horn to mpc concerns, etc.  Of course the caveat "the young beginner should not assume that (mpc-X) is going to make them sound like (Pro-Y) and in fact can hamper their development, make it appear that their sound is suffering from emphysema, leave them with a large paper-weight they can't sell.

Would it be worth the trouble to pursue this?  I feel there are a few subjects that have been ruined here that could benefit from a summary of the good minus the noise and chatter. 
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Feb 03, 2011, 11:30AMPerhaps (if someone were willing to do the work) we could distill the good from this thread, and keep the catchy title? 

I think sometimes we all lose sight of what this site is meant to be: a source of knowledge to accompany the study of the trombone.  We have a lot of good (yet competing) contributions from our more knowledgeable members on the subject.  These contributions could be used to form the basis of an article titled something along the lines of "Trends in Equipment Choices for the Bass Trombonist or Who in Their Right Mind Plays a Bach 1.5G."  Make it an article, not a thread, so it doesn't get overloaded with the kind of back-and-forth sniping that tends to derail these otherwise informative threads.  Of course an article would necessarily contain some over-generalizations to which those contributing would have to look past for the sake of clarity.  It would necessarily explain trends according to region, style, necessity, matching horn to mpc concerns, etc.  Of course the caveat "the young beginner should not assume that (mpc-X) is going to make them sound like (Pro-Y) and in fact can hamper their development, make it appear that their sound is suffering from emphysema, leave them with a large paper-weight they can't sell.

Would it be worth the trouble to pursue this?  I feel there are a few subjects that have been ruined here that could benefit from a summary of the good minus the noise and chatter. 

Someone has to decide what is 'good' and what is' useless junk'. For one of us to do that would undermine the whole basis of this forum. If we ever get round to a 'wiki' (remember it nearly happened a few years ago) an editorially driven article could happen. We should not edit forum threads... there lies a moderating dictatorship.

Chris Stearn

ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

leave the thread, take the cannolis

I'm not suggesting we edit the thread... just extract the useful info for an article that is not "comment-able."   Somewhere where someone with genuine questions can go to get genuine answers from the horse's mouth.  Or at the very least, learn the right questions to ask. 

Say some kid who's genuinely interested in the merits of various mouthpiece sizes for playing bass trombone - and he finds this thread.  What impression is he going to come away with if he stumbles across the last few pages?  Expecting him to read 71 pages of this is asking a bit much...

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Actually, he'd probably get more from reading the first few.  At some point it becomes obvious that the same points are coming over and over.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Feb 03, 2011, 12:47PMleave the thread, take the [s]cannolis[/s] cannabis

Fixed that for you. 

Nah, don't thank me, glad to do it.

Especially after the last hour.   
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

HA!

i know the guy you're getting it from very well, i think.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

As Bruce told, the first pages are the interesting pages. The rest is about many people like me that got the eyes up for the 1 1/2g. For us it is a lot about trying and discovering the 1 1/2g. The reason it is so long is many people tried it. And write about it. It show the 1 1/2g are popular.

Exzaclee, have a good idea, but I think if one should make an article about the 1 1/2g it should not be a "copy" of this tread. Some have to do it separate from this tread?

Anyway, this tread did learn me things I didn't believe was possible. I didn't have a clue. Maybe not today either.  Image
But I really did learn some here, and the tread really gave me inspiration. Thanks to Chris and all the other 1 1/2g players.

In a time all players and the trend goes in one direction, the one who goes his own way will get a lot of focus. So happen here.

Leif

ttf_octavposaune

Post by ttf_octavposaune »

Please for the love of whatever Diety you worship,

Can this thread be done with now???

The points have been argued into the ground and I am sick of seeing this thread constantly pop up, old news....

Benn
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

CODA......

A short statement has given us several years and many pages of discussion. I never expected that and I don't expect anybody else saw it coming. Mostly constructive, often digressive, funny, frustrating and hopefully educational. It is now, like an old dog in need of a peaceful end, being put down.
Thanks to all who have given this one life.. I think it shows what the forum is for... contributions from the embryonic and the eminent, good natured debate and food for thought.

Bye

Chris Stearn
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

I decided to wake up the sleeping beast of a thread to incorporate the news of a Mt Vernon Bach 1 1/2G selling on ebay for over $500. That is quite extraordinary and shows that there are some out there that put a very high value on an old 1 1/2G.
The thread will only be open for a limited period.

Chris Stearn
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Image Well, since its open I'm not fare a way..   Ooohh MT Vernon Bach 1 1/2g......I have one from before. And I have to admit I did buy another one this summer, not any of the ones in eBay but from England through the forum. The price was high for this one too. The Norwegian money is very strong, but  still. Its gold plating, I did just play it for a day. Its exactly the same quality as the one I have been using for some time now. At the moment I tried it, it felt easier but so do all new mouthpieces? Anyway I have been stable with the one I already have and want to see where it leads me. They are not the same, but exactly the same good "special" feel. They are special...no doubt.

Why so high price? Well, I think you started something with this tread Chris. Many posts, but have you seen how many that has been reading it?  Image  MT Vernon is not easy to get, and I believe it will be harder and harder. Are they worth this high price? For some that can use all their qualities, YES. Are they useful for all? NO. Are they any easier than others? NO. Is the result so stunning? YES and No. Only if you learn to play it. If you dont....no. Can some else listen the good qualities? Yes but only if you learn it. And right now that feels like and endless story for me. And I enjoy that story.....

I also got an MB 109 rim. That's a special rim and there is no other with that size. Its a hair bigger than a 1 1/2g. Only a hair....When I listen my recordings this sounds exactly the same. Strange? So a lot of this is in our heads.   
No doubt. But I play it the same way. The low feels easier, but on the records....exactly the same.

Anyway, I'm not surprised to see this price. When there are few of them, the price goes up. But they are only worth it if the player really want to learn it. And that's maybe not for all. I have to say for me....I love my MT Vernon more and more. But you all know I'm a bit "strange" by now. But this love might also get some qualities in to my playing? Who knows.

Leif
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I wonder if the guys who made the MT Vernon's was brass players themself? Or did the old man Bach him self learn them? Or did they just cooperate very close with good brass players? I have tried many Bach mouthpieces from all the decades. Strange enough the few MT Vernon's all have some of the same qualities. And to my surprise the ones I have tried is not so different either physically.  Yes a little but the ones from 1970-95 is the most none consistent. The later ones from 2000 and up are more consistent.  The later ones also have more mass to their body's.
The strange thing is if we compare the Bach history, MT Vernon's are light physically. (Remember this is my observation and its only about the 1 1/2g.)  But they feel very stable like they have more mass. At the same time they have this lightness in feel, colour, ability to change when you want it. And still the sound feels very heavy and big. The new ones don't have it. To me they are stable and OK but cant change.  Sound is blocked from colour. I believe one of the secrets is in the MT Vernon's is you really have to work to understand them. Today many make mouthpieces that is easy to play there and then. Same with instruments. But then it stops. The Bach pieces  from 1970-95 (ca) have the same colourfull feel. But they don't have that firm, stable, big sound.
MT Vernon's need some understanding to make the best out of them. That's why I say you have to learn, if you are lucky and get one.  My experience is they have endless possibilities, where some other mouthpieces "lock" you in to one way to play. Can of course be comfortable and easy, but that's why a MT Vernon is more exiting. Its more complex, and you discover it all the time you play it.
OK just my "inner" thoughts. Remember a mouthpiece is just a piece of brass.  So are the horn.  The big deal will always be our self, and that's more worth than any piece of brass or even money. Much more possibilities there. My grandfather did work in the woods with simple equipment, today many of the old people who remember him tell he was amazing. Funny to listen but they told it  was about technique and art. Today there is only talk about amazing equipment in that business.  We have to look both forward and back in history to understand. To make music we only need our self.

(and a Conn of course... Image
Leif
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Chris I believe you can close it again. All the others have their nose in the computer and search the net for more MT Vernon's to show up. When the dollar get stronger I might sell the one I have left over. Wonder what the price will be in some years....?

Leif
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Closing down again !       

Chris Stearn.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

It's been five years...
There is a bit of 1 1/2G steam that might need to be released....
Over to you guys...

Chris Stearn
ttf_tbarh

Post by ttf_tbarh »

Ok, here goes ; Yamaha 58  ( not 1 1/2G ,but ballpark size ) .. Totally killing in my Holton basses Image   Why no hype about them ?
Reactions please  Image

Trond
ttf_sabutin

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: blast on Mar 19, 2016, 02:19PMIt's been five years...
There is a bit of 1 1/2G steam that might need to be released....
Over to you guys...

Chris Stearn

I wishhhhhhhhhh I could play a 1 + 1/2G on bassssssssss trombone.

But I can't.

I run out of ssssssssteam around 8vb  Image b Image

Sssssssssorry...

Ssssssssss.

( Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image)

ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

I have a Schilke 58 mouthpiece (Originally played a Bach 1G) and it made life easier for me range wise. Good mouthpiece. Image but might upgrade to a Bach 1.25 size in near future.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

I have one. I haven't had much time on it, but it seems like a very solid mouthpiece (as as many of the Yamaha "stock" mouthpieces. Seems more even than any of my fancier 1 1/2 size pieces.

I have been noodling around on a 70H with my George Roberts Replica CE and my other 1 1/2Gs.

In order there are Shires Vintage 1 1/2G, Yamaha 58, Hammond 19BL, and my GR piece. I also have a Hammond 19BXL in use on my euphonium.

Disclaimer, I don't use any of these in daily use anymore- the rim is too small for me to really get around the horn, especially on my Shires.

The GR piece is very light and short. It's a very old school blank. It's a good mouthpiece, but the rim gets uncomfortable quickly (too defined a lip, maybe?) and due to the lightness, it doesn't do well at high dynamics. With it plugged in to the 70H, I get (by my estimation) at least 70% of the way to the GR "sound." No kidding, this is the combo! I played the Brubeck GR stereogram for my teacher a few weeks ago on my main horn. Afterwards, I picked up this combo and played it again. He said "That's it. That's the sound."

The Shires is much heavier and more in line with the "Bach" style of vintage sound, more dense and less flexible. It would probably be great in an old 50B.

The Hammonds have been gone over on this forum quite a bit. Chris is right, the 19BL is a little shallow and can get bright very quickly, though it is very comfortable. The 19BXL is much deeper, more in line with a larger mouthpiece. I used it with some success for a while, though the rim is now too small on bass trombone. It works very well on euphonium, probably due to the large throat.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

I have a run-of-the-mill modern Bach 1-1/2G that I use in my 70H and my R9DST. Yes, it's less forgiving then bigger pieces, but when you put the work in and hit it just right, the results are to die for.

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: sabutin on Mar 19, 2016, 03:10PMI wishhhhhhhhhh I could play a 1 + 1/2G on bassssssssss trombone.

But I can't.

Sssssssssorry...

Ssssssssss.

Sam  Image I wish you could take a trip to Norway....I could take you out for skiing, and dont worry you would be in the best hands. There is downhills for all levels. its safe. After the skiing I would have you teach me the trombone. And we take a beer, they call it afterski...

But I think Chris didnt open a can of wormes  Image Maybe a can of snakes.... Image
Lets see, I begin to think about the 2g.....

Leif
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Tell me more about this "afterski".....  Image
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: MrPillow on Mar 19, 2016, 03:39PMTell me more about this "afterski".....  Image

Its more of this  Image Image Image Image Image Image

Quote from: Burgerbob on Mar 19, 2016, 03:21PMI have one. I haven't had much time on it, but it seems like a very solid mouthpiece (as as many of the Yamaha "stock" mouthpieces. Seems more even than any of my fancier 1 1/2 size pieces.

I have been noodling around on a 70H with my George Roberts Replica CE and my other 1 1/2Gs.

In order there are Shires Vintage 1 1/2G, Yamaha 58, Hammond 19BL, and my GR piece. I also have a Hammond 19BXL in use on my euphonium.

Disclaimer, I don't use any of these in daily use anymore- the rim is too small for me to really get around the horn, especially on my Shires.

The GR piece is very light and short. It's a very old school blank. It's a good mouthpiece, but the rim gets uncomfortable quickly (too defined a lip, maybe?) and due to the lightness, it doesn't do well at high dynamics. With it plugged in to the 70H, I get (by my estimation) at least 70% of the way to the GR "sound." No kidding, this is the combo! I played the Brubeck GR stereogram for my teacher a few weeks ago on my main horn. Afterwards, I picked up this combo and played it again. He said "That's it. That's the sound."

The Shires is much heavier and more in line with the "Bach" style of vintage sound, more dense and less flexible. It would probably be great in an old 50B.

The Hammonds have been gone over on this forum quite a bit. Chris is right, the 19BL is a little shallow and can get bright very quickly, though it is very comfortable. The 19BXL is much deeper, more in line with a larger mouthpiece. I used it with some success for a while, though the rim is now too small on bass trombone. It works very well on euphonium, probably due to the large throat.

Adian, thats the most kept secret in the 1 1/2g history and there is very few of them. Never sell it. Its the nearest copy of George Roberts Bach 1 1/2g mouthpiece. And without doubt the best copy. A man in Los Angeles made 3 copies of George Roberts Mt Vernon. This is one of them. I also have one. It reminds me....I have to find the box with mouthpieces...

Leif
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: sabutin on Mar 19, 2016, 03:10PMI wishhhhhhhhhh I could play a 1 + 1/2G on bassssssssss trombone.

But I can't.

Sssssssssorry...

Ssssssssss.

Well... you and me both...
I love the sound but they kill my face... I wish it were not the case... and My Mt Vernon 1 1/2G will never be sold... just in case my face changes...

Chris Stearn
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

Even over the Mr. Bass Trombone model that Noah made? That is a great piece in the 1 1/2G range.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

The George Roberts mouthpieces.... copies of Georges favourite mouthpieces... gems... George was bitter though.. he told me that he never got any of the money promised on the deal.
There was a NY, MV, CE,SE and SO.
The theory is that meant, New York, Mount Vernon, Commercial Elkhart, Symphony Elkhart, Symphony Oversize.
I had them all but now only have an SO that has had a wider rim added.

Chris Stearn
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Roughly when was that series of GR mouthpieces made?
ttf_Edward_Solomon

Post by ttf_Edward_Solomon »

Quote from: blast on Mar 19, 2016, 04:22PMThe George Roberts mouthpieces.... copies of Georges favourite mouthpieces... gems... George was bitter though.. he told me that he never got any of the money promised on the deal.
There was a NY, MV, CE,SE and SO.
The theory is that meant, New York, Mount Vernon, Commercial Elkhart, Symphony Elkhart, Symphony Oversize.
I had them all but now only have an SO that has had a wider rim added.

Chris Stearn

I tried the MV and CE recently. Both in 2G size, which I compared with Shires Vintage 2G, Bach Corp. 2G, and Mount Vernon 2G. They were good - very good, all of them, but the genuine Mount Vernon easily outclassed all the rest. The closest to the Mount Vernon was the Bach Corp. It's strange how these things work out. Oh, and it bears mentioning that it was at Adrian Jarvis' new workshop and had him listening on the audience end.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

I har all of them but sold two of them. Should never have done that. I still have the mv then. Will try it today if I can find it.

Leif
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I found a B 1 & 1/2G and my single Bach 50B worked perfectly for a recent Mozart's Coronation Mass .Very small chamber -sized orch, small choir.

But not quite right for stage band the previous am or this weekend's Puccini mass, with a large orch and large choir (actually) 3 choirs combined).
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

So what is new on the 1 1/2 scene since the last 5 years?
And who left or joined it?

Leif
ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

Rath B1 1/2W?  Image
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: jack on Mar 22, 2016, 03:02AMRath B1 1/2W?  Image

I did that one over 12 years ago.

Chris Stearn
ttf_hassein

Post by ttf_hassein »

I think I've been full circle trying all of the "improvements"to the 1&1/2G. Guess what-my MT.Vernon 1&1/2 is in my horn where it's staying.
ttf_jack

Post by ttf_jack »

QuoteRath B1 1/2W?  Image

I did that one over 12 years ago.

Chris Stearn
Posted on: Today at 03:02 AM Posted by: jack

Oooops, Chris.  Well, it's quite new to me.  And I think it's great.  Thanks for your work on it.
Robert
ttf_MoominDave

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

I bought myself a Josef Klier (JK) 3AL a few weeks ago. Have been trying it in various applications - the first 1-1/2G-sized bass trombone mouthpiece in years that my face has felt at all comfortable in. Sounds like a 2G, blows like a 1-1/2G, feels surprisingly comfortable. It's a nice piece - went into the shop with choice of 2AL and 3AL, but to my surprise came out with the smaller one. The sound is great - all tubbiness shorn away. Easier to play for me than any other piece of its size I've tried, and a very tasty tonal quality available with it. Easy enough though? That we'll see. It may be that its function in my life is rather to remind me how to play a slightly larger piece in the best way.
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

So when we say "1-1/2G" - what rim size are we taking about?  Because we all know the 27.00mm in the Bach catalog is not correct.
ttf_Jox

Post by ttf_Jox »

I don't know if it counts but I still play on my DE MB109 rim setup.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

^to me that is a great 1 1/2G. MB 109/MBJ/J8.
Also the new Brass Ark Mr. Bass Trombone mouthpiece.
The stock Greg Black 1 3/8G is just a slightly larger 1 1/2G.
Greg's 1 1/2G is on the smaller side.

Ferguson V or Rath B 1 1/2W also great.

For me those are my favorite besides stock 1 12Gs.
ttf_Fridge

Post by ttf_Fridge »

My Mt. Vernon11/2, my Mr. Bass Trb from the Brassark, a George Roberts that he gave me a LONG time ago, and I really like the Greg Black 13/8 with a tighter throat that I bought from Zach. My two cents worth.

Fridge
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: HouBassTrombone on Mar 22, 2016, 08:44AM^to me that is a great 1 1/2G. MB 109/MBJ/J8.
Also the new Brass Ark Mr. Bass Trombone mouthpiece.
The stock Greg Black 1 3/8G is just a slightly larger 1 1/2G.
Greg's 1 1/2G is on the smaller side.

Ferguson V or Rath B 1 1/2W also great.

For me those are my favorite besides stock 1 12Gs.

By these accounts, I think that puts a Wick 0AL in the 1-1/2G range, yes?  Perhaps on the slightly larger side due to the deep cup.

Then yeah, I'm all about the 1-1/2G's.... a DE MB109/MBK/K8, GB 1-3/8GM and Wick 0AL (the wick has the smallest rim measuring in around just shy of 1.08")
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm surprised the Stork 1.5 doesn't get more attention. It can sometimes feel a little tenor like, but for a lot of the range that makes sense. Pricing is still really great on Stork as well.

Darren

Return to “Mouthpieces”