Case Recommendation for Cool Wind Trombone

IrresponsibleRobot

Case Recommendation for Cool Wind Trombone

Post by IrresponsibleRobot »

Hi there folks, I've got a question I'm hoping to get some input on.

I recently impulse-bought a used Cool Wind CTB-200 on eBay that came without any sort of case. Naturally, this needs addressed. The Protec MX306CT seems sensible enough, but I'm a bit worried about it not having any sort of shell besides the EPS itself. Will it be rigid/tough enough to survive being strapped to the back of a motorcycle, or am I better off splurging on a proper hard case?
BGuttman

Re: Case Recommendation for Cool Wind Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

The Cool Wind comes in a gig bag. Very little protection if you spill from a motorcycle, but short of that the horn is pretty much immune to handling damage. I have had one for the past few years and have experienced issues that a better case would not protect from:

1. Under heavy use (1 hour per day of practice) the inner slide wore thin in a year. Not possible to replace.

2. Poorly glued joint started to leak. Fixed with the gel Gorilla Glue.

3, Plastic around bell flare broke without warning. Had to glue back together.

4. Metal leadpipe shredded plastic threads in inner slide, Now works as a "press fit" that is very loose.

I never use the plastic mouthpiece that came with it. I use a brass one (King 29)

I bought it for Christmas gigs where a gaudy instrument is fun. Maybe good for a Carneval Banda as well. Don't play it too much -- it won't hold up.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
IrresponsibleRobot

Re: Case Recommendation for Cool Wind Trombone

Post by IrresponsibleRobot »

Yeah, if it had come with the gig bag I probably wouldn't be bothering, but since I need to buy something anyway I figured I might as well put some thought into it.

Return to “Accessories”