How reliable is Eastman as a brand?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I’m looking for my first trombone with an f attachment and I found a one that I might get, but I want to get other people’s opinions before I buy it. Here it is https://www.rettigmusic.com/product/eastman-etb432-trombone/   I also found one that has the same model number but it ends with a G. What does the G stand for?
ttf_bubbachet

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

The 432 is a budget-minded horn that would be fine for most purposes. For the same amount of money, however, you could find a used Bach 42 or Conn 88H that would be a far superior instrument.

The G means gold brass bell. The standard 432 has a yellow brass bell.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

G normally refers to a gold brass bell.  Gold brass is a little less bright than yellow brass.  Most players prefer yellow brass, but whatever you get you will probably get used to.

Eastman is a Chinese make and they own SE Shires.  However, an Eastman trombone is not made by Shires.

Of the Chinese brands, Eastman is one of the better ones.  Still, make sure whomever you buy it from will support it including repairs during the warranty period.  If the vendor is a "big box" store, you may just get the next one off the pile and if it's bad, it's too bad.

Good luck.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

See if they have one you can play before you buy it. As others have stated, you can get a good used Bach, Getzen, Conn, Yamaha, etc. for around that same price. And there is someone trying to sell a Shires Q series in the classifieds for around $2,200 at the moment. That horn is getting good reviews these days.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

See if they have one you can play before you buy it. As others have stated, you can get a good used Bach, Getzen, Conn, Yamaha, etc. for around that same price. And there is someone trying to sell a Shires Q series in the classifieds for around $2,200 at the moment. That horn is getting good reviews these days.

Return to “Instruments”