Who is better: Miff Mole or Slide Hampton

Discuss the people that make the music here.
alonetrombone

Who is better: Miff Mole or Slide Hampton

Post by alonetrombone »

Just wondering who everyone on this forum thinks is better at thrusting the ol' soundpipe

i think miff mole finesses the blowhole with more power, he can be as loud as a truck. but then Slide Hampton obviously caresses the copper more vigorously

what do you think
BGuttman

Re: Who is better: Miff Mole or Slide Hampton

Post by BGuttman »

You are beginning to convince me that you are an AI. Nobody would consider this a valid comparison. Can you give one example of each to compare?

Note: this is like comparing Mozart to Elton John. Who's the better composer? ;)
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

trolls gonna troll
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

alonetrombone wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 pm Just wondering who everyone on this forum thinks is better at thrusting the ol' soundpipe

what do you think
I think you should crawl back into your troll hole. :arrow:
alonetrombone

Post by alonetrombone »

I think Mozart is the better composer personally because he's more complex. he is like a butterfly (delicate, beautiful, hard to understand purpose) whereas i think elton john is more like a brown bear (stark, interested in men).

one example of each

Miff Mole - -- note his truck like strength and power

Slide Hampton - - note the way he is almost vigorous in his gentleness
alonetrombone

Post by alonetrombone »

WilliamLang wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:33 pm trolls gonna troll
please do not defame me, i love both miff mole and slide hampton and i just wanted to know who everyone thinks is better at t-bone
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

I like turtles.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

tbdana wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:08 pm I like turtles.
Agreed
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

Conn or Bach…
Chevy or Ford…
Colt or Kimber…
Coke or Pepsi…

Don’t think anyone is trying to defame here…the phasing of the question elicits a certain response which is characterized by postings seen on the forum as of late…

A lack of patience can evoke a response which can weed out certain behavior…clarification also accomplishes the same goal…both were displayed, I’m sure no offense was intended of course…
alonetrombone

Post by alonetrombone »

atopper333 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:50 pm Conn or Bach…
Chevy or Ford…
Colt or Kimber…
Coke or Pepsi…

Don’t think anyone is trying to defame here…the phasing of the question elicits a certain response which is characterized by postings seen on the forum as of late…

A lack of patience can evoke a response which can weed out certain behavior…clarification also accomplishes the same goal…both were displayed, I’m sure no offense was intended of course…
thank you for apologising on behalf of your friend, and none taken. I certainly did not intent to hurt anyones feelings with my post about Miff and Slide and i am regretful if i did in fact cause feelings of anyone on this forum to be hurt.

I actually think The Slidin Miffs would be a good name for a trombone tribute band. That, or maybe The Loose Slidin Shifters, i think that is a good band name as well, although perhaps it sounds too much like a slippery bowl movement.

and sorry to hear about your recent postings experience here on T C. what kinds of posts have you been noticing? I am just a old divorced guy getting back into trombone after my wife Deb and i had a falling out.
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

alonetrombone wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:04 pm
atopper333 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:50 pm Conn or Bach…
Chevy or Ford…
Colt or Kimber…
Coke or Pepsi…

thank you for apologising on behalf of your friend, and none taken. I certainly did not intent to hurt anyones feelings with my post about Miff and Slide and i am regretful if i did in fact cause feelings of anyone on this forum to be hurt.
I think clarification is in order on this one. I could not and would not speak on the behalf of any of the contributors of this forum. The people that have posted on this topic are people who have contributed their time, knowledge, experience, and teaching to this forum, and I have great respect for them and their contributions.

My sarcastic tone is lost at times in text, my comment was also making reference to the perception of how a trombonist’s personality is….’categorized.’

As to the type of posts, it appears all manner of online forum are playing host to AI bots. This problem is destructive at most and meddlesome at the least and certain content is indicative of that behavior leading to the referenced lack of patients…
Nolankberk

Post by Nolankberk »

Is this what you would really like to be spending your life doing
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Music is not a championship where you win something by being the best... I feel like this post is another candidate for locking.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

EriKon wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:29 am I feel like this post is another candidate for locking.
:good:
atopper333

Post by atopper333 »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:52 am
EriKon wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:29 am I feel like this post is another candidate for locking.
:good:
Agreed.
keybone

Post by keybone »

I don’t want to spread any miffinformation as I continue to slide down the razor blade of life.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Well we know you're not better.
SlydeMe

Post by SlydeMe »

alonetrombone wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 pm Just wondering who everyone on this forum thinks is better at thrusting the ol' soundpipe

i think miff mole finesses the blowhole with more power, he can be as loud as a truck. but then Slide Hampton obviously caresses the copper more vigorously

what do you think
You can't compare to contrasting styles. Both were excellent players at the times they played.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.

Return to “Musicians”