Benge 190F Valve Repair

Jrw398

Benge 190F Valve Repair

Post by Jrw398 »

I have recently bought a Benge 190F from eBay, and the description says that the stops were missing from the instrument.
I have no knowledge on instrument repair, and would like to know what parts I would be needing and how to repair the instrument. I have looked on YouTube and have not found what I am looking for.
I have not acquired the instrument yet as it has shipped today, but I want to get some help prior so I know what I am getting myself into.
BGuttman

Re: Benge 190F Valve Repair

Post by BGuttman »

The valve stops are rubber cylinders put in a pair of recesses on the stop plate. You don't need to do any disassembly to put them in. The rubber, usually Neoprene, comes as a rope that you slice pieces off. Usually ¼" (6 mm) diameter.

HOWEVER

If you really want the valve to play properly you need to trim these stops (usually with a single edge razor blade) so that the ports inside the valve line up properly at either end of travel. This requires a bit of skill. A good tech will have a bore camera to examine the position of the rotor and will trim the stops so that the valve ports align properly. If you try to do this yourself you may go through a few sets until everything is right.

Alternatively, there are "witness marks" that are supposed to show when the valve ports are properly aligned. Sometimes these can be off, and if the valve was disassembled and reassembled improperly they can be useless. I've trimmed bumpers to the witness marks and had good success, but no guarantee that you will also.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

If you're dealing with an instrument that has missing parts, realistically it's going to need chem cleaning and various other things doing, all of which I'm guessing might be new to you. Nothing ever has only one thing wrong with it.

Aligning valves isn't terribly difficult in the great scheme of things, but this might not be the moment. Have it professionally serviced first so that you know what you're aiming for in any future maintenance or parts replacement.
Jrw398

Post by Jrw398 »

Thank you guys!
I will contact my local tech and see if he has the chemicals for a cleaning.
Rrova

Post by Rrova »

On ebay, if you look up texas-horn-trader and then Benge 165 he should have them. I'm almost certain the valve is the same for the 190F and 165F. Worth a shot...
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

This one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/305475823233

Yeah, the stop plate is missing. Shouldn't be too hard for a tech to find a replacement. I suspect that's the same valve Conn-Selmer is still using.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I saw that horn. As JohnL has stated, it was a missing stop plate. The parts (stop plate and stop plate screws) are the same for a King 4B and can be easily ordered by most techs.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”