Shhhh mute on bass trombone

How and what to teach and learn.
musicofnote

Shhhh mute on bass trombone

Post by musicofnote »

Ok, embouchure experts ...

On a lark I spent about 7-8 minutes warming up on my Shhhh practice mute. I almost never play with practice mute. Doing the same routine as everyday as without the mute, just on the mute - Air Flow exercises combined with some glissando exercises looking to keep uniformity of sound through the glissando. One exercise is exploring the pedal register, starting with 2nd line b-flat, legato arpeggio down to pedal b-flat, hold pedal, then arpeggio back up to 2nd line b-flat. Then do the same, but add pedal A. Then do the same and add pedal A-flat ... and going down as far as I can get a good sound. Usually this is pedal E or E-flat. Today I could get E-flat, D and D-flat almost with no problems.

Is this just "daily form" or is this a "characteristic" of a practice mute? I also noticed, that the highest register was much more difficult, so I didn't "press" that. Also a characteristic of a practice mute?

Most important question: Could this be an indication, that at least for the mid to lowest range, I'd do better with more resistence in the horn? Or does it mean nothing at all?

Thoughts......
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Griego Markey 82 (85, 90) or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."

Return to “Teaching & Learning”