vintage player ID

Discuss the people that make the music here.
jacobgarchik

vintage player ID

Post by jacobgarchik »

Anybody recognize this person? Bought at a San Francisco flea market along with a bunch of other 8x10s of classical musicians. No date or information of any kind.
IMG_5416.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Posaunus

Re: vintage player ID

Post by Posaunus »

Not very "vintage," given the equipment in the photo.
Looks like Joe Alessi with his Edwards trombone and Griego mouthpiece.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That isn't Joe, or an Edwards trombone, or any version of an Alessi mouthpiece ...
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 pm That isn't Joe, or an Edwards trombone, or any version of an Alessi mouthpiece ...
Oh. Sorry, Harrison. Who is it then? Still doesn't look very "vintage" (i.e., old) to me.

Too bad the photo wasn't autographed by the artist!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I agree, it sorta looks like a stock photo that was made to look vintage...

Then again...

Time travelers abound! What is Coldplay's singer doing in this 1940s image?

As for the horn, it looks like a Bach 42B, and those have been around for a while! A long while. It could very well be a genuine photo from the mid 50s, and the guy is showing off his brand new 42B. The "No, see? I'm not bald!" haircut also screams 1950s.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Not a 42B. Maybe a Conn. notice the rounded trim on the brace sockets. Could even be an ancient Conn with a string pull F attachment, why else would you have your thumb there?

Cheers,
Andy
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

True. Looked too wide for a Conn, but I see it now
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Could it be a bass bone? Certainly an old one as if you look closely no slide lock
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

So, did Bruce Willis's dad play the trombone?
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

It's a Conn bass with optional wide slide, though I cannot see a TIS in place. What I can see of the wrap looks odd..... the pull slide section looks to be on the side nearest the player's head. Other left field idea.... a very early Williams... just might be a curved hand brace......Mouthpiece.... early Bach or Herrick ???
I see no reason for it to be a faked modern shot, especially as it came with other old pictures.
No idea who it is though.... anyone seen a pic of Spike Wallace ????
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

FOSSIL wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:11 am It's a Conn bass with optional wide slide, though I cannot see a TIS in place.
What I can see of the wrap looks odd..... the pull slide section looks to be on the side nearest the player's head. Other left field idea.... a very early Williams... just might be a curved hand brace......Mouthpiece.... early Bach or Herrick ???
I see no reason for it to be a faked modern shot, especially as it came with other old pictures.
No idea who it is though.... anyone seen a pic of Spike Wallace ????
That does look like a Conn valve cap. It's possible the original TIS mechanism was removed to lighten the slide. I've seen some Wallace-Williams trombones with just a little squeeze clamp at the end of one outer sleeve - though I don't even see that here. Could be Williams cork barrels...

It's too bad the water key isn't in clearer focus; before he developed his trademark, patented water key, Earl used a conventional water key with the little ball on the end. It's just not clear enough for me to be sure whether or not this horn has one.
spike.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JohnL on Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

I vote for the horn being a Conn 70 with wide slide, I can se the tis but as John said the mechanism is removed, I did that to on my Kanstul, to lighten the slide. But who is the player?
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

more pics
IMG_5424.jpg
IMG_5425.JPG
IMG_5426.JPG

Return to “Musicians”