Farewell to an old friend...

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Kingfan

Farewell to an old friend...

Post by Kingfan »

I met John Kleban 15-20 years ago when I joined his amateur big band. The band grew and John moved me from 3rd to 2nd to leadm having more confidence in my abilities than I did and encouraged me to stretch. I helped him run rehearsals once he got hard of hearing. He was driving his car, carrying the music, and playing until about a year and a half ago when he went into the Veteran's Home in Sandusky, OH. He could still play, but driving was a problem and carrying the horn and walking was not possible. He sold me his 1957 King 3B when he moved.

He passed away in his sleep Monday morning at the age of 98.

I talked to him last week. He had broken his hip (fell on the free weights when working out in the gym) and gotten pneumonia a month or to ago, but said he was working with his physical therapist so he could get out of the damn wheelchair and walk again. A fighter to the end. I knew he was a vet, but at today's services I found out he was a Bronze Star winner, severely injured by mortar shrapnel in the Battle of the Bulge and met his wife during his six months in the military hospital in Cambridge, Ohio where she was a nurse. The family had a picture of him as a kid holding trombone that was taller than he was. He played keyboards, accordian, trombone, and sang. He had been a musician for 90 close to 90 years! He played keyboards, accordian, trombone, and sang. I brought his 3B to the visitation just in case, and his family put it in a place of honor by his casket. They had a CD of the band in the background during the entire visitation. John was a mentor, a father figure, and a friend. He will be missed.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
imsevimse

Re: Farewell to an old friend...

Post by imsevimse »

I'm sorry for your loss. There are people around that mean a lot to us. Let them all know how much we love them while they are still around. I have several heroes that I would hate to loose. People I owe so much. Without them my life would not be the same . I send my love to all of you, wherever you are at this moment and I will do my best to better show my appreciation. :good: :good: :good:

/Tom

Return to “Musicians”