Conrad Herwig

Discuss the people that make the music here.
DakoJack

Conrad Herwig

Post by DakoJack »

I don't actually see a ton on here about him am I the only one obsessed with this dude, what an animal. Possibly my favorite to ever do it, any other Conrad fans hit me with your deep cuts on here.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Conrad Herwig

Post by Matt K »

Yeah I'm a huge fan. I think I own every album he's produced... some stuff he's a sideman for. I actually used to own his old alto after he switched to Rath. He used it as far as I am aware, for one Eddie Palmieri album https://www.amazon.com/Gigue-Bach-Goes- ... B000UBPRJ8 . Was a Conn 36H which he had them swap the Bb attachment so it was in Bb by default.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

He is my favorite trombone player with no exceptions. The airy smoky sound is something I have been searching for forever and I'll probably never get it half a good as he does. Also the sound he can produce on just the mouthpiece alone has given me chills on a few separate occasions- it's unreal.

Not many people (on any instrument) play with as much energy and excitement as he does.

Once in a masterclass he was writing something on a chalk board and the bone stand he was using started to collapse and fall over. This student sitting nearby caught his horn with a lightning reaction and Conrad would have never known if someone didn't tell him and give the kid credit.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
SaigonSlide

Post by SaigonSlide »

He’s a game changer on the trombone.

What equipment does he use now?
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

SaigonSlide wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:28 pm He’s a game changer on the trombone.

What equipment does he use now?
His horn is listed on Rath's website under artists. All nickel R10 (.500 bore).

I'm pretty sure he has always played a NY Bach 7 (not 7C). Maybe it was modified but I'm not sure.
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

I saw him in Philly once with Pablo Batista's band. He was incredible. I didn't realize how tall he was. His trombone looked like a toy when he held it!

He was able to draw out so many sounds from his horn. I'll never forget his sound when he musically wailed on high F's in the middle of a melodic phrase. Great improviser and section player.

I think one reason he's not often talked about is because while people know he's around, he's not as "in your face," or even present, as some other people on social media. World class, though.
Gary

Post by Gary »

I don't know when you guys say he's not well known what kind of criteria you're using. To the best of my knowledge most musicians I know, know of him.
TromboneSam

Post by TromboneSam »

I guess that's directed at me. I just mean there isn't as much chatter about him as there is about other trombonists.

I didn't mean to lessen or demean Conrad's impressive reputation in any way.

I do find the mouthpiece info interesting though. I know a number of NYC trombonists who play on NY or MV 7's (not 7C's).
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I could be wrong, But I remember reading some where that Conrad played on a Bach 12 Mouthpiece
Enelson

Post by Enelson »

Conrad has recorded so much great music, but as far as video is concerned, I love to re-watch this Jazz à Vienne performance year after year. It has it all - Conrad takes us from beautiful ballad to fiery Latin improvisation to virtuoso cadenza.

PeterDahlgren

Post by PeterDahlgren »

Back when I met him he was using a Bach NY 12 mouthpiece which he said he has played for most of his career.
Very inspired by him as I was, I also got myself a NY 12... Didn't help me sound like him though :D

Conrad is a true innovator of the jazz trombone and has a real unique instantly recognisable voice.

Here are the two of us battling it out, what a scary pleasure that was :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJarDmGnJWs
Lead trombone Danish Radio Big Band, Stockholm Jazz Orchestra
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

PeterDahlgren wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:45 am Back when I met him he was using a Bach NY 12 mouthpiece which he said he has played for most of his career.
Very inspired by him as I was, I also got myself a NY 12... Didn't help me sound like him though :D

Conrad is a true innovator of the jazz trombone and has a real unique instantly recognisable voice.

Here are the two of us battling it out, what a scary pleasure that was :biggrin:

Oh man... If a NY12 could help me to sound like any of you two, I'd buy 1000 of them!
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

PeterDahlgren wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:45 am Back when I met him he was using a Bach NY 12 mouthpiece which he said he has played for most of his career.

Thank you for that, that was amazing you sound incredible.
SaigonSlide

Post by SaigonSlide »

DakoJack wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:01 pm

Thank you for that, that was amazing you sound incredible.
Man! You sounded great. Great tune, and crazy bone solo!
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

TromboneSam wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:48 am I saw him in Philly once with Pablo Batista's band. He was incredible. I didn't realize how tall he was. His trombone looked like a toy when he held it!
Between how tall he is, how long his arms are, and how he commonly holds the horn (angled far down and to the right) he can keep his right elbow really low. Maybe I am describing it oddly but since he spends so much time in 1st-4th, he can do almost all the work without straightening his arm.
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4

Return to “Musicians”