Brian Drye in Hadestown

Discuss the people that make the music here.
jacobgarchik

Brian Drye in Hadestown

Post by jacobgarchik »

I wrote a piece for Slate about Broadway, trombones, Hadestown, and the great Brian Drye.
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/hades ... -drye.html
Fruitysloth

Re: Brian Drye in Hadestown

Post by Fruitysloth »

I shared this article on Facebook today! Great writing, it’s so exciting to see our people in a unique and new spotlight! Thank you for writing this!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

My son's high school band went on a trip to NYC this weekend. They split up and half went to Wicked and the other half went to Hadestown.

I can't overstate how much of an impact Brian Drye (or his sub, if it was a sub that night... he was listed in the playbill but my son says it didn't look like a 2B he was playing) had on the people who watched it. They were blown away.

On the bus ride back, at least two of the flute players have talked to my son about teaching them the basics of Trombone - they want to learn it and join the school's jazz band next year. (My son is considering going into music education... So it's a win/win, he'll get to see if he enjoys helping people learn an instrument and he'll get to start off with people who aren't in fifth grade as his first guinea pigs)

I say this as a non-player, (just a supportive dad)... Making the trombone "cool" is long overdue. I don't expect it to become mainstream overnight, but this could be part of a bigger trend.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

ryebrye wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:18 am My son's high school band went on a trip to NYC this weekend. They split up and half went to Wicked and the other half went to Hadestown.

I can't overstate how much of an impact Brian Drye (or his sub, if it was a sub that night... he was listed in the playbill but my son says it didn't look like a 2B he was playing) had on the people who watched it. They were blown away.

On the bus ride back, at least two of the flute players have talked to my son about teaching them the basics of Trombone - they want to learn it and join the school's jazz band next year. (My son is considering going into music education... So it's a win/win, he'll get to see if he enjoys helping people learn an instrument and he'll get to start off with people who aren't in fifth grade as his first guinea pigs)

I say this as a non-player, (just a supportive dad)... Making the trombone "cool" is long overdue. I don't expect it to become mainstream overnight, but this could be part of a bigger trend.
As a trombonist myself who just finished a long Broadway run I plan on going to see Hadestown. Also FWIW they list each player, including subs, who is performing each night on a little “marque” out in the lobby.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

jacobgarchik wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 pm I wrote a piece for Slate about Broadway, trombones, Hadestown, and the great Brian Drye.
https://slate.com/culture/2019/11/hades ... -drye.html
Very cool!!!
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I’ve gotten to hear Brian play this on Broadway and Audrey Ochoa on the tour 2 years ago. Very different styles for the same book, but both absolutely stellar. If you can catch it live, do it.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

brtnats wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:31 pm I’ve gotten to hear Brian play this on Broadway and Audrey Ochoa on the tour 2 years ago. Very different styles for the same book, but both absolutely stellar. If you can catch it live, do it.
Thank you for introducing me to Audrey Ochoa, a player until now I was sadly unaware of!

Return to “Musicians”