Cliff Heather?

Discuss the people that make the music here.
jorymil

Cliff Heather?

Post by jorymil »

One of my absolute favorite albums is Thad Jones/Mel Lewis's "Consummation," where Cliff Heather's on bass trombone, and is just this lovely warm bear at the bottom of all the horn parts. Who was this guy, and why don't we hear more about him? It looks like Alan Raph studied with him, but apart from that and his work with the Thad/Mel band, crickets.
King2bPlus

Re: Cliff Heather?

Post by King2bPlus »

He played with a number of bands including Larry Clinton and Sammy Spear. I believe he played Tenor on these bands and played in the Dorsey style. Moved to Bass later on.
Ken Jackson
King 2b+, King 3b
Elliott LT 104N, C, C2
Elliott LT 104N, C+, D2
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

He was a regular on the Ed Sullivan show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ed_Sullivan_Show

And the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. He was already retired when I met him. He used to organize a brass group for the Xmas holidays, which I got to play in.
Superslick79H

Post by Superslick79H »

I realize this is several years later, so much for a spontaneous discussion. If I remember correctly, Cliff suffered a stroke around 1974-75. I was fortunate enough to see him with Thad&mels band, at least a half dozen times. When I saw them in Cambridge,Ma in May of 1974, Cliff was still in the band as well as Quentin"Butter"Jackson. I do believe I read where he had played in the NBC orchestra under Toscanini.
I know he played tenor gtrombone in Larry Clintons orchestra
Does anyone know Cliffs ultimate fate or can add to this?
I also think Cliff usually played the Conn 70H
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Superslick79H wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:05 pm I also think Cliff usually played the Conn 70H
72H here:

Return to “Musicians”