Lili Boulanger - Psalm 130 "Du fond de l'abîme"

Discuss the people that make the music here.
AndrewMeronek

Lili Boulanger - Psalm 130 "Du fond de l'abîme"

Post by AndrewMeronek »

This is a stunning piece of music overall - but score watch this and check out some pretty good "trombone" moments. This looks like it would be a huge blast to play!

Oh - and 5 trombones: 4 tenors and bass.

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Gary

Re: Lili Boulanger - Psalm 130 "Du fond de l'abîme"

Post by Gary »

WOW!!!
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Gary wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:29 pmWOW!!!
For me, it's not just about the trombone parts, of course. The composition itself is just great and shows superb craft. I definitely recommend cranking the volume on this, because there is a lot of subtle tone coloring achieved by both orchestrating interesting instrument combinations, and IMHO a fantastic understanding of counterpoint and extended harmonic structures that any modern jazz arranger would be quite proud of.

And for anyone who doesn't know: Lily is the younger sister of the more famous Nadia Boulanger who taught a bunch of well-known composers.

- Thelonious Monk
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

Lili died tragically young, she was only 24. Nadia thought she didn't have anywhere near the talent as a composer as Lili. Lili had Nadia's attention for detail and craft, but there was that something extra in her writing that separates the greats from the rest. If Lili had lived longer, without a doubt she would have been considered one of the most important composers of the 20th century.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

chromebone wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:09 am Lili died tragically young, she was only 24. Nadia thought she didn't have anywhere near the talent as a composer as Lili. Lili had Nadia's attention for detail and craft, but there was that something extra in her writing that separates the greats from the rest. If Lili had lived longer, without a doubt she would have been considered one of the most important composers of the 20th century.
According to some, Lili is considered one of the great 20th century composers despite her short life.

Also: I suspect that Nadia sold herself short on her own writing abilities, especially in chamber music. With what little research I could find, it seems that one reason she didn't write much and taught a lot was because those were the gigs that paid the bills.

- Thelonious Monk
Lindafoolo

Lili Boulanger Psalm 130 "Du fond de labîme"

Post by Lindafoolo »

One of the would-have-been great figures of 20th century music, were it not for a lifetime of ill-health robbing her from us at the age of 25; certainly, in my opinion, one of the greatest women composers of all time.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

AND ---- A sarousaphone part !!

Return to “Musicians”