A Unique Description of Franz Liszt Practicing

Discuss the people that make the music here.
AndrewMeronek

A Unique Description of Franz Liszt Practicing

Post by AndrewMeronek »

A very interesting lecture on Franz Liszt's approach to playing piano.

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
LeTromboniste

Re: A Unique Description of Franz Liszt Practicing

Post by LeTromboniste »

I haven't watched the video but I should raise a big red flag. Wim Winters is somewhat of a joke in the musicology and early music scenes, adopting and aggressively promoting a certain spurious "theory" that has all the tell-tale signs of conspiracy theories. He is known for cherry-picking evidence, censoring detractors (banning them from his comments sections and Facebook page) and refusing to engage in live debates or Q&A, preferring to respond in writing or in response videos, which allows him to just fall back and repeat his supporting "facts" or use whataboutism tactics to change the subject while avoiding to be forced to address the obvious flaws in his hypothesis and the overwhelming evidence against it.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
AndrewMeronek

Re: A Unique Description of Franz Liszt Practicing

Post by AndrewMeronek »

LeTromboniste wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:51 am I haven't watched the video but I should raise a big red flag. Wim Winters is somewhat of a joke in the musicology and early music scenes, adopting and aggressively promoting a certain spurious "theory" that has all the tell-tale signs of conspiracy theories. He is known for cherry-picking evidence, censoring detractors (banning them from his comments sections and Facebook page) and refusing to engage in live debates or Q&A, preferring to respond in writing or in response videos, which allows him to just fall back and repeat his supporting "facts" or use whataboutism tactics to change the subject while avoiding to be forced to address the obvious flaws in his hypothesis and the overwhelming evidence against it.
OK.

I guess I should have suspected a flag when he starts with saying Franz Liszt was the best pianist ever. Liszt himself would disagree, and that is a silly statement to make.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Return to “Musicians”