Patron Saints of the Trombone

Discuss the people that make the music here.
DakoJack

Patron Saints of the Trombone

Post by DakoJack »

Who do you feel are the people who have done the most to promote the trombone with playing and outside of their playing?
These are some of the people we decided to highlight.
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1169810/4588 ... F1yty3NFPc
JohnL

Re: Patron Saints of the Trombone

Post by JohnL »

Frederick Neil Innes. His career arc was similar to Arthur Pryor's (soloist, composer, bandleader, teacher), but almost a generation earlier. He was an ardent advocate for the trombone as a solo instrument and for the concert band as a symphonic ensemble. While he was with Patrick Gilmore's band, Gilmore would program his solos right after the cornet solos and he would play the same piece, matching the cornetist note-for-note. I don't think there are any extant recordings of his playing, which may be why he's nowhere near as famous as Arthur Pryor.

You mentioned Hoyt's Garage. I'd argue that Hoyt Bohannon qualifies as a patron saint. By facilitating the group over many years (including contributing a lot of arrangements), he had a significant impact on the evolution of modern trombone ensemble literature.
DakoJack

Post by DakoJack »

JohnL wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:26 pm Frederick Neil Innes. His career arc was similar to Arthur Pryor's (soloist, composer, bandleader, teacher), but almost a generation earlier. He was an ardent advocate for the trombone as a solo instrument and for the concert band as a symphonic ensemble. While he was with Patrick Gilmore's band, Gilmore would program his solos right after the cornet solos and he would play the same piece, matching the cornetist note-for-note. I don't think there are any extant recordings of his playing, which may be why he's nowhere near as famous as Arthur Pryor.

You mentioned Hoyt's Garage. I'd argue that Hoyt Bohannon qualifies as a patron saint. By facilitating the group over many years (including contributing a lot of arrangements), he had a significant impact on the evolution of modern trombone ensemble literature.
I have never heard of Fredrick Neil Innes I'll have to check him out I have a weak knowledge of classical Trombonist who are no longer living an area for improvement for sure. And ya thank you so much for listening I don't know much about Hoyt but after stumbling on to him in this research I'm super intrigued probably will do an episode on him so I can research the whole thing seems super cool.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Johannes Rochut and John Coffey. Both played with the Boston Symphony. Rochut edited the Bordogni Etudes we all play, and Coffey was a major teacher in the Boston area.

Speaking of major teachers, there's Emory Remington who taught at Eastman for a generation from the late 1930s to his death in the early 1970s.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Musicians”