Joannés Rochut, the Boston Symphony, and his trombone

Discuss the people that make the music here.
yeodoug

Joannés Rochut, the Boston Symphony, and his trombone

Post by yeodoug »

Hello all,

I have just posted a new article on my blog about trombonist Joannés Rochut, he of the famous "Melodious Etudes" from the works of Marco Bordogni.

The article discusses Rochut's winning first prize at the Paris Conservatoire in 1905, and his tenure as principal trombonist of the Boston Symphony Orchestra (1925-1930) during which time he published his three books of "Melodious Etudes." I have included all known photos of Rochut when he was in Boston, and I take a careful look at Rochut's Lefevre trombone and mouthpiece which he used while in Boston. Photos from the BSO archives as well as new photos of Rochut's trombone taken by Toby Oft are included.

You can read the article here:

https://thelasttrombone.com/2020/10/02/ ... -trombone/

Kind regards to all,

-Douglas Yeo
+ + + + +

Douglas Yeo
Bass Trombonist, Boston Symphony Orchestra, 1985-2012 (retired)
Trombone Professor, Wheaton College, Illinois
Clinical Associate Professor of Trombone, University of Illinois (2022-2023)
www.yeodoug.com
www.thelasttrombone.com
BGuttman

Re: Joannés Rochut, the Boston Symphony, and his trombone

Post by BGuttman »

Fascinating article, Doug. I remember your initial information about Rochut from the article on the BSO low brass section. Rochut has had a huge influence on trombone playing both for his playing and his students.

One other interesting player from the period is Eugene Adam (Adams?) who seems to have spent time both on trombone and tuba and apparently was fired for a time because of Union organizing activities.

It's very interesting comparing the Brass Choir picture from 1925 with the Brass Choir picture from 1921. Some faces are the same and many are different.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

This is a great article. History detailed in this way makes things feel so much more alive and real. "Rochut", in my head, was often a noun more akin to "push-up" or "yoga". Now I have a much better sense of the mind behind the books.

On a more off angle note, the photos of an Edwards next to Rochut's trombone immediately reminded me of some comparison and contrast listening I did of the Shilkret Trombone Concerto.

Version A was a CD by a well known modern player. Version B was a You Tube of the original radio broadcast of Tommy Dorsey. There certainly seemed to be a great deal of delicacy and nuance lost in the modern .547" trombone version. (Jim Pugh's version is also great, so it may also have to do with having a jazz sensibility.)

I love the sound of modern orchestral trombones... for about 3 minutes at a time. I wish soloists would down size their equipment
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

Superb research as usual Mr (or should it be Dr) Yeo. We see these famous people in their accomplished positions, but know little of their background. Thank you for that.
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

Next question, I had some wonderful experiences with Toby while he was in San Diego. I would be interested if he actually put those pieces together and played them and what he thought about them.
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

Thanks much Doug. Very informative.

Phil G.
timbone

Post by timbone »

GREAT article Doug! Thank you for your work!

Return to “Musicians”