Donald Sanders - 1952-2020

Discuss the people that make the music here.
GabrielRice

Donald Sanders - 1952-2020

Post by GabrielRice »

Donald Sanders (December 28, 1952 - September 26, 2020) was one of the world's greatest trombonists. He won the highest prize awarded at the Prague International Solo Competition in 1978 and Second Prize at the 1979 Geneva International Solo Competition, was a member of the Empire Brass, and was Principal Trombone of the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra. But he was not widely known outside of Boston because his solo career was shortened by Multiple Sclerosis, diagnosed in the early 1980s. He kept playing at a very high level for years after his diagnosis, and I was fortunate enough to meet and play with him in the early 1990s.

This is a live recording of Arthur Pryor's Thoughts of Love, from a recital in 1981 at New England Conservatory's Jordan Hall. He is pictured with his wife Laura, his close friend Mick Mulcahy, the Boston Pops Esplanade Orchestra low brass section (Larry Isaacson, Robert Couture, Gary Ofenloch, and Walter Brauer), his friend and colleague Don Rankin, and John Williams.

Posaunus

Re: Donald Sanders - 1952-2020

Post by Posaunus »

Thanks Gabe. Nice tribute. Sympathies to the Sanders family and Donald's friends.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Thanks for posting this Gabe! Great playing - I always enjoyed his recordings with Empire Brass. I thought they represented one of the best approaches I've ever heard to brass quintet playing. Nice to hear him like this as a soloist.

My best wishes to his friends and family at this sad time.

Jim Scott
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Wow. Beautiful player.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
kevpa

Post by kevpa »

I had the good fortune to hear Don Sanders performing with the Harvard Chamber Orchestra back in the 1980’s.He was playing principal and they were performing Bruckner’s 6th symphony.
It was an exciting performance that still lingers in my memory today.
He also played his part on an ALTO trombone and it sounded just amazing!

Return to “Musicians”