RIP Richard “Dick” Bowman

Discuss the people that make the music here.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

RIP Richard “Dick” Bowman

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

It is with a very heavy heart to post about the passing of my friend and fellow trombonist, Richard “Dick” Bowman. Dick and I were great friends and he took me under his wing and shared a wealth of knowledge with me. I first met him around ‘05 when a local jazz band group he was a member of invited me to play bass bone as the person before me was leaving Hawaii. He also put in a good word with one of our local Army community theaters as they were also looking for a bass bone player and I was brought on board with their pit orchestra. I owe a lot to Dick and will miss him dearly. For those of you that knew him, I hope it helps you to know that he passed away peacefully in his sleep surrounded by his family.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by HawaiiTromboneGuy on Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Doug Elliott

Re: RIP Richard “Dick” Bowman

Post by Doug Elliott »

I met Dick Bowman at several of the ITF's over the years, and I've been wondering how he was doing. Sad to hear he's gone.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

I am really sorry to hear that. Dick was a lovely guy, a real gem. We first met at the Rath factory and really hit it off. We spoke over the phone over many years, usually at really odd times as Dick didn't quite get the hang of time differences. The phone would ring at 5am and that slightly broken voice would say ' hi, it's Dick' and we would be off on another chat. We met up at ITF New Orleans and spent some fun time checking out the local restaurants.
The world is a poorer place for his passing....a real character.

Chris
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:09 pm I met Dick Bowman at several of the ITF's over the years, and I've been wondering how he was doing. Sad to hear he's gone.
I’m glad you had the opportunity to have met Dick at several ITFs. He was such a great human being and was quite witty!
Drew A.
Professional bum.
HawaiiTromboneGuy

FOSSIL wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:55 pm I am really sorry to hear that. Dick was a lovely guy, a real gem. We first met at the Rath factory and really hit it off. We spoke over the phone over many years, usually at really odd times as Dick didn't quite get the hang of time differences. The phone would ring at 5am and that slightly broken voice would say ' hi, it's Dick' and we would be off on another chat. We met up at ITF New Orleans and spent some fun time checking out the local restaurants.
The world is a poorer place for his passing....a real character.

Chris
Hi Chris. I remember from the old TTF when you first mentioned to me that you knew Dick. I had mentioned your name to him and he said “Chris is my buddy!” He was still very sharp in the mind and I’m glad he was still able to play all the way until the end. It was always a pleasure to hear and see him on Thursday nights at rehearsals. He will be dearly missed.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
FOSSIL

Post by FOSSIL »

When I first met Dick, he was at Raths getting some work done on a Williams he owned.... he showed me a Viennese tuba mouthpiece that was more shallow than car salesman and played some stuff to show me that it worked....then he told me that he lived in California, but when it got cold he would fly across to Hawaii for better weather.....I just loved that someone would think California got too cold !!!

Chris
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

So sorry to hear this. Dick was truly unique. Like Doug and Chris I enjoyed his company at several ITF's and shared a meal on more than one occassion. It wont be quite the same without him. RIP... Doug
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

FOSSIL wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:45 am ...he told me that he lived in California, but when it got cold he would fly across to Hawaii for better weather.....I just loved that someone would think California got too cold !!!

Chris
Mark Twain is alleged to have once asserted “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”
:o
Glennlewis

Post by Glennlewis »

An update Dick’s California memorial service took place this last weekend, September 17th in San Francisco. It was a lovely ceremony and I was able to meet his family.

Dick mentored me in 2013/2014 in the Hawaii Shriners band when I was a returning trombonist after a 25 year break in playing. An absolute inspiration and as he would say a “Teriffic” guy.

I know a Hawaii celebration of life is being planned too.
blast

Post by blast »

Thanks for that update. Thinking of Dick has brought a little sunshine into my morning.😁

Return to “Musicians”