Mr Alessi playing bass!

Discuss the people that make the music here.
LeoInFL

Mr Alessi playing bass!

Post by LeoInFL »

Cool stuff!
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-present)
skeletal

Re: Mr Alessi playing bass!

Post by skeletal »

As a surprise to nobody he sounds great
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

For a moment, I thought it might be another one of those videos. So, what mpc is he using?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:49 pm For a moment, I thought it might be another one of those videos. So, what mpc is he using?
It could be his 1C. I hope not!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
vetsurginc

Post by vetsurginc »

Good stuff on site. I really glad he is expanding the bass material. Often has an easier arrangement as well as the full version.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Probably the 1F or whatever the deepest cup is they make at Griego. Or an actual bass piece, since they make em in that blank too.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Shires Alessi bass on the way?
Last edited by Bach5G on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skeletal

Post by skeletal »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:49 pm For a moment, I thought it might be another one of those videos. So, what mpc is he using?
Are we both thinking of the same user?
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

skeletal wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:31 pm
This one:

https://trombonechat.com/viewtopic.php? ... ft#p132531
skeletal

Post by skeletal »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:42 pm
skeletal wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:31 pm

This one:

Oh come on there's another one of them!?!?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

skeletal wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:07 pm
Bach5G wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:42 pm

This one:

Oh come on there's another one of them!?!?
I took action to call him out on it. The moderators seemed to not like that too much :(

I've got to figure out how to walk that line lol
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Most excellent playing and terrific sound!

Okay, correct me if I am wrong b/c I don't know classical music. I did not actually hear a bass trombone per se. What I heard in the vid was someone playing a tenor part ON a bass trombone. I understand that a bass trombone theoretically has the same range as a large-bore tenor trombone. But this is more what I expect to hear from both a tenor and a bass trombone:

hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

ArbanRubank wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:16 am .... I did not actually hear a bass trombone per se. What I heard in the vid was someone playing a tenor part ON a bass trombone..... . But this is more what I expect to hear from both a tenor and a bass trombone:

Wow, that was excellent!
I love Verhelst and Van Dijk. Alessi is obviously brilliant as well. Sounds like there was the audio equivalent of some photoshopping going on there, but well done.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

ArbanRubank wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:16 am Most excellent playing and terrific sound!

Okay, correct me if I am wrong b/c I don't know classical music. I did not actually hear a bass trombone per se. What I heard in the vid was someone playing a tenor part ON a bass trombone. I understand that a bass trombone theoretically has the same range as a large-bore tenor trombone. But this is more what I expect to hear from both a tenor and a bass trombone:

He was playing the BASS trombone part of the Haydn Creation in the beginning.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:03 am
ArbanRubank wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:16 am Most excellent playing and terrific sound!

Used to be the thing to play the creation on large tenor, with small bore and alto on the upper parts
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Vegasbound wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:10 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:03 am

Used to be the thing to play the creation on large tenor, with small bore and alto on the upper parts
Uhhh yeh I realize that.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:20 am
Vegasbound wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:10 am

Uhhh yeh I realize that.
But many of our younger readers may not!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Vegasbound wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:24 am
WGWTR180 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:20 am

Uhhh yeh I realize that.
But many of our younger readers may not!
Yes but you were quoting me. That's why I quoted the person who was unaware. :good:
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

I was also unaware. Now I know. Apparently, composers have written lines for bass trombone to play up in the tenor range. They obviously knew what they were doing, b/c the ones I have heard sound fantastic.

But for my personal endeavors, this is more like the kind of range concept I have for bass trombone:

CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Joe has played Bass before - there's some overdubbing on a Latin-themed CD that he released a few years ago. Also, he had to cover some Bass Trombone on his first gig in the Philadelphia Orchestra. I remember seeing his Bass Trombone going up for sale in some Trombone classifieds just after he became the Principal in NY. He has obviously picked up a new one.

Jim Scott
JakeRoberts69

Post by JakeRoberts69 »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:39 am Joe has played Bass before - there's some overdubbing on a Latin-themed CD that he released a few years ago.

Ah! You are referring to one of my favorite albums, Caliente! See more info here!

best,
jr
Savio

Post by Savio »

It sounds too perfect.....but everything does this days. I have only listen two brass concerts live where I was moved. One was with Philip Jones brass ensemble, the another was with Christian Lindbergh.

Leif
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Savio wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:31 pm It sounds too perfect.....but everything does this days. I have only listen two brass concerts live where I was moved. One was with Philip Jones brass ensemble, the another was with Christian Lindbergh.

Leif
Christian's refusal to play from the score during performance (there are exceptions, but they are rare) I think is a huge part of why he can draw so much emotion out of a piece. Others are, literally, just playing notes on a page. I got chills during the concerts of his I've been able to see live. One was the Kalevi Aho Symphony 9. He passes off a high E or something to a clarinet and the handoff was so clean I thought it was the chandeliers reverberating. The other was watching a warm up rehearsal in Colorado. He played a few Fs from the back of the stage that were not loud, but sounded like he was playing from the seat next to me. The other guy he was playing the double concerto with was warming up, much louder, but sounded a thousand miles away. Blew my mind.
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

In the early 1970s when I was studying with people who had played with the San Francisco Symphony in San Francisco, they kept talking about this young high school player named Joe Alessi. I guess he’s done good for himself since then. Not a bit surprised that he plays bass as well as Tenor.
JKBone85

Post by JKBone85 »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:04 pm Shires Alessi bass on the way?
lol
LetItSlide

Post by LetItSlide »

That’s how I’d have thought he’d sound on bass trombone. Splendid.

Return to “Musicians”