Michael Buchanan

Discuss the people that make the music here.
VJOFan

Michael Buchanan

Post by VJOFan »

I did a quick search and it seems this young man has been mentioned only once on this site. He popped up on my You Tube feed yesterday with his 2015 contest winning rendition of the David (which both he and the orchestra make sound like an amazing composition instead of a ponderous piece of obligatory crap most players make it sound like).

I’ll link a performance of his of Prelude to Bach Cello Suite No. 2 below.

Among a world of professionals, of whom many sound still more like muscular jocks than musicians, I find his playing to be that of a musician playing trombone and not a trombonist playing music.

https://youtu.be/FNw6xA5u5fg
FOSSIL

Re: Michael Buchanan

Post by FOSSIL »

Mike was principal trombone with us for a couple of years, after he left university. His audition piece was the David and we sat and listened with our jaws on the floor !
Not only is he the most amazing musician and trombonist, he is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. He made the whole section sound world class.

Chris
skeletal

Post by skeletal »

His tone in the middle register-it is like nothing else, almost as if the warmth of the horn was mated with the clarity of the cello. A truly aspirational sound.
Savio

Post by Savio »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDf4-TRM2Us

There is the David concerto! It's just amazing! :good: :good: :good:
I have listen that concerto many times with so many good (and bad) player's through the years. Michael Buchanan bring it to a level I never listen before. He is young, must be a coming star. I usually turn off the David Concerto very quick no matter who plays. Not because it's a bad concerto but we have all listen it so many times. Anyway when I listened this recording some years ago I just had to listen it to the end. Big names have played it but this is on a level thats above everything in my opinion. My god wish I could play it but I stick with some much easier melodies :D :D :biggrin:

Cheers all, it's Friday :good:

Leif
Stefano

Post by Stefano »

Old thread, but wow. As I return to the trombone, I'll be listening a lot to Michael Buchanan.

Anyone know what instrument(s) he plays?
blast

Post by blast »

I hear that Mike has moved on from the trombone and is training to be a singer. Not from the horse's mouth but I'm not surprised if it is true...He's more than just a trombonist.
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

blast wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:54 am I hear that Mike has moved on from the trombone and is training to be a singer. Not from the horse's mouth but I'm not surprised if it is true...He's more than just a trombonist.
Nothing wrong with beeing a tromboneplayer,but if i had a real voice i would also consider it.. Hope he is succesful !

Return to “Musicians”