Brian Hecht switches to Dallas Symphony

Discuss the people that make the music here.
robcat2075

Re: Brian Hecht switches to Dallas Symphony

Post by robcat2075 »

Interesting. I had heard of "utility" horns before but not a utility trombone.

I wonder if that is a full-time position.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

robcat2075 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:29 pm Interesting. I had heard of "utility" horns before but not a utility trombone.

I wonder if that is a full-time position.
Many orchestras keep a 4th trombone on staff as "utility". He will sub for any player who is indisposed or out of town, or join the section when the piece calls for 4 trombones. I've even heard of using the utility as a "bumper" for 1st, much like the auxiliary horn player who "bumps" the principal.

When the orchestra goes on tour they usually take 4 trombones so that each member of the section can get a day off once in a while.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Similar to associate principal, bit different job description. You play all the weird stuff, fill in on any chair.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Utility positions often happen when a 4th player is added to the section for the first time, because the 2nd player may already have it in his/her contract that they step up to 1st when the Principal is off. The job descriptions can be a bit more varied in 4-person trombone sections from one orchestra to another than they are in the other brass. Sometimes, that player does the valve playing, but perhaps not if someone else in the section was already covering it. Likewise, some orchestras have a 2nd player that might cover the Bass chair when that player is off, while in this case, the Utility will almost certainly cover those duties. I imagine he's playing mostly 2nd and Bass, and maybe the valve stuff too, with the 2nd player covering on 1st (usually) when needed.

Jim Scott
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

Interesting situation.
Does the utility player have to cover alto, as well as tenor and bass? (Chops of steel!!!)

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

They should come up with a more dignified label.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Elow

Post by Elow »

I have never seen brian play alto and have never seen an alto in his room. I would really want to know what he uses on alto because he uses a 1 3/8g on tenor
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Whatever title is used, the players in those positions do often have to play alto, tenor and bass, and then they could be the person that covers euphonium and bass trumpet. Jim Markey started playing the bass when he was playing Associate w/the NY Phil., and came to love it - now his main horn. I saw a program from his recital at Juilliard (while he was playing with NY Phil. - he finished his degree part-time). He played the Albrechtsberger on alto, the Creston on tenor, and New Orleans on bass among other pieces all on the same program. I think there may have been something on bass trumpet as well.

Jim Scott

Return to “Musicians”