Lew Gillis

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Jimprindle

Lew Gillis

Post by Jimprindle »

Rummaging around my books and etudes that I have used for the 50+ years of my playing, I pulled out the Lew Gillis 20 etudes for advanced bass trombone.(1965, Southern Music, I bought it for $1.75). I have used that book and the 70 Progressive Studies with my students in the past and I’ve always liked them. But relooking at the 20 etudes, I am again impressed about how musical they are. Especially No. 2.

I know Mr. Gillis was a professor at Texan Christian Institute and was very prolific in possibly composing jingles. I would love to hear some more information about him, what kind of a player, teacher, person. I’m sure that some of you may have known him or known about him.
Basbasun

Re: Lew Gillis

Post by Basbasun »

Tha book is one of my favorites.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I recall inquiring similarly years ago on the old TTF and getting zero feedback. No one had encountered him personally.

This seems to be new since I last looked...

http://legacy.lib.utexas.edu/taro/tcusp ... 00015.html

If I read that right they have 97.5 feet of boxes of his various documents. :amazed:
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
LanceHandsome

Post by LanceHandsome »

I paid a lot more than $1.75 for my copy. I like the etudes, but could have used more of them for those newfangled, probably Communist TWO-VALVE basses.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I recently played through the 20 etudes. Ok book, nothing that made me remember it much.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Musicians”