RIP Dale Clevenger

Discuss the people that make the music here.
TomRiker

RIP Dale Clevenger

Post by TomRiker »

JohnL

Re: RIP Dale Clevenger

Post by JohnL »

Lowell Greer is also gone:
https://www.hornsociety.org/ihs-people/ ... /378-greer

Not as well-known to the general public as Dale Clevenger, but a very significant figure in the horn community.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Oh man, Dale is probably my most listened to non-trombonist. I've heard his recordings of the Haydn concertos a zillion times.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

It was always a pleasure getting to see Dale and play in his orchestral rep classes at IU, and of course listen to his many fabulous recordings with the CSO. I don't think I'll ever forget the sound of him yelling "GOOD!" at me in a rehearsal. He was an absolute titan, and reading all of his students' and colleagues' memorials these past couple of days has put into perspective just how much he was loved.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

A story that must be heard to help understand and appreciate this wonderful man and fabulous musician :
I first met Dale at an American Symphony Orchestra League "Conductor's Camp" back in the early 1960s. He was recommended by one of his early music instructors who was a regular orchestra member at the camp, as a member of the doublebass section. He told me that he had Dale as a student in one of his classes and that on one occasion, Dale was acting up in class, so he decided to kick him on down to the Principal's Office. Dale was non too happy about the decision and on his way out of the class shouted over his shoulder, "Just you wait ! One day I'm going to be the best French horn player in the country and you'll be sorry" ! He surely did keep that promise and we all got to enjoy that determined spirit ! RIP, Dale.
Bigbasst

Post by Bigbasst »

A great loss indeed! I have many of his solo recordings

Return to “Musicians”