Christian Lindberg posture

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Macbone1

Christian Lindberg posture

Post by Macbone1 »

I love listening to CL play but can't stand watching him. He looks so tense and stiff, shoulders bunched up around his neck, no indication of the "relaxed control" we are all taught. In black or white tie it looks even worse. Makes me tense just to watch and yet he's at the top of the trombone world. Anybody ever catch any insights into why he plays like this? Any interviews or articles mention it? Or is he just built that way and can't help it?
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Burgerbob

Re: Christian Lindberg posture

Post by Burgerbob »

Christian is a person with energy to spare. If he didn't have the dedication and focus he has, he would described as "manic." His own words, btw. I think, due to this, he doesn't have to worry quite so much about being efficient with the rest of his body, just the parts that really matter. Just my two cents though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

in my opinion, it's more visually exciting to most people, especially in the context of being a soloist. a lot of trombonists just kinda stand there and sound great, but in the solo world, people "hear" with their eyes just as much as their ears. Lindberg really sells moments and energy
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Thanks for the insights. I'm naturally opposed to tension and (perceived) discord (a type of tension) in life as well as in music. That kind of stage presence is not to my taste, that's all. But it sure works for him.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

St James' posture makes my neck hurt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I think he stopped....saw them live recently and he was not doing that
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

A lot of people just have weird postures.

It's not their plan, they don't see themselves doing it, they don't know they are doing it unless someone points it out.

It's their normal.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

Sometimes their normal looks detrimental. Just sayin'.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Believe it or not, having your shoulders down and back, as is taught, brings the shoulder blades together, which closes the rib cage. Having your shoulder or arm up, and forward, opens up the shoulder blades, which opens up the rib cage. You can get in more air that way.

There is actually less tension and you can get more air, faster, more naturally.
whyking

Post by whyking »

Interesting point about the visual aspects of being a soloist! I think my own posture varies a lot if I'm a section player compared to being the soloist. I'm overall more animated when I'm in focus on stage, and as a result I think I do move around more and my shoulders come up a bit.

As an audience member, I must admit I appreciate the visual energy of someone "selling" their performance a bit. Mnozil Brass comes to mind as an excellent example. Talk about masters of visuals, along with being absolutely top notch musicians!
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:59 pm Believe it or not, having your shoulders down and back, as is taught, brings the shoulder blades together, which closes the rib cage. Having your shoulder or arm up, and forward, opens up the shoulder blades, which opens up the rib cage. You can get in more air that way.

There is actually less tension and you can get more air, faster, more naturally.
That may work for some, and we all vary anatomically, but for me the muscles used in "hiking up" the shoulders a la CL adds tension and fatigue. I WAS taught to keep the arms "clear" of the ribs to allow for expansion, but was also taught the less tension the better. In the meantime, CL has "the" gig and I don't! :lol:
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Holton bass trumpet

Return to “Musicians”