Kid Ory, Tricky Sam and Trummy Young

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Tmbarnes97

Kid Ory, Tricky Sam and Trummy Young

Post by Tmbarnes97 »

I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of trombones (brand and model) some of the early jazz greats were using? Mainly Kid Ory, and Tricky Sam.
chromebone

Re: Kid Ory, Tricky Sam and Trummy Young

Post by chromebone »

Tricky Sam used a Conn 24H. The set back bell was perfect for his extensive plunger work, and 24h’s are just great horns in general. I’ve seen pictures of Trummy Young with all sorts of horns, King 2b/3B and Conn 24h/4h and maybe even Bachs. Jack Teagarden was like that too, he seemed to change horns when he changed his socks, but his most interesting Horn is a Williams Arrowhead that had a King style curved handbrace. That horn appeared to go through some changes over the course of a number of years. He seems to have played that for a relatively long period, for him, anyway.
I think Kid Ory played an Olds TIS earlier in his career, but later on he mostly played a Williams.
bradjohnson

Re: Kid Ory, Tricky Sam and Trummy Young

Post by bradjohnson »

The Olds Standard with Tuning in Slide was a popular horn for 30s jazzers. Vic Dickenson was supposed to have played one, which I learned after I got rid of mine. Could he really have done all that plunger mute work with a friction fit bell? https://jazzlives.files.wordpress.com/2 ... e-hall.jpg

Return to “Musicians”