Warm-up sequence

How and what to teach and learn.
sirisobhakya

Warm-up sequence

Post by sirisobhakya »

I must admit: I normally don’t warm up much because of limited available time on the horn. Normally i would do some lip slurs, a few scales, some blast in the lowest register, and then playing some popular tunes as an additional warm-up before proceeding to more serious stuffs.

However, since I bought a tenor horn and a bass trumpe (which both use smaller mouthpieces and I normally play them in higher register), I have noticed that if I warm up on those instruments first, both my tones and lower register on the bass trombone improve at least somewhat. I don’t know whether it is just my feelings or not, though.

Have anyone got an experience like this?
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
ArbanRubank

Re: Warm-up sequence

Post by ArbanRubank »

Could it be that your perception gets altered when playing a smaller, higher-pitched instrument?

I know that for myself, when I want to at least think I am sounding better on my larger horn, I will play it with a smaller, tighter mouthpiece for a while and then let out a sigh of relief when I revert back to the larger, more open size I use for that horn! :amazed:

What I don't ever do is to play my Eb tuba first! The big, mellow and sweet sound on that vintage Olds totally messes with my trombone sound perception!
baileyman

Re: Warm-up sequence

Post by baileyman »

sabutin, of TTF, when practicing several horns in a day, would work the smallest first, largest last.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”