Mouthpiece too small?

How and what to teach and learn.
dorutzzu92

Mouthpiece too small?

Post by dorutzzu92 »

Hy guys!
What are the signs that a mouthpiece is to small?

If air is leaking near the mouthpiece could be one of the signs? (Not from corners, just exactly near mouthpiece rim)
I recently feel my mouthpiece very inconfortable (bach 5g) and i want to ask you, how do we know when a mouthpiece is not good for us anymore?
tbonesullivan

Re: Mouthpiece too small?

Post by tbonesullivan »

There are many who played their entire career on the same mouthpiece, so it's not a matter of "outgrowing" a mouthpiece.

Why do you find the mouthpiece uncomfortable? Fixing this usually involves getting someone else to look at you while you play, and see if they can figure out the issues.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Doug Elliott can do a Skype lesson and steer you the right direction if you can't find a person locally who can help you.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Save yourself time and dollars by chatting to Doug Elliott, he will help you discover the best rim size for your chops
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Vegasbound wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:47 pm Save yourself time and dollars by chatting to Doug Elliott, he will help you discover the best rim size for your chops
What he said. I’ve wasted time and money trying to figure what I needed. What I really needed was some good advice, which I got from Doug.
dorutzzu92

Post by dorutzzu92 »

How can i reach Doug Eliott? Where to text him?
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com

Or send him a private message through this site, Doug checks in most days so he may pick up on this thread
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I check in here a couple of times a day, so send me a PM.
I will do short mouthpiece consultations by Skype for free, when I have time.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I've found in the past year or so that while a mouthpiece can be uncomfortable, it may work well with your horn. I played a Bach 9 mpc for over a year while playing lead in tbe college bigband. I HATED how it felt, but it gave me more endurance and worked well with my 6H.

And askig Doug Elliott can't hurt since mouthpieces are sorta his thing.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

You have a 5G mouthpiece and think that is too small?
First of all make sure you use enough air. Next you form your emboushure in a way there is no leak in your mouth corners. It is a matter of puckerd emboushure rather than a smile. When you pucker the emboushure the mouthcorners push forward enough to seal the mouthcorners and then there should be no leak there, or anywhere around the rim. To use a very large mouthpiece to make everything fit inside sounds like a strange solution. To me what you describe is a problem with technique and not a problem with a too small mouthpiece. If you think of it you use a 5G mouthpiece which is not a small rim and compare that to trumpet players that can make itsy-bitsy trumpet mouthpieces work and have no leaks 🙂. A good teacher is what could help you most probably, that is if you have not an problem with your teeth or your bite that can explain this problem to be something else.

/Tom

Return to “Teaching & Learning”