Position chart

How and what to teach and learn.
bigbandbone

Position chart

Post by bigbandbone »

Could someone post a link to a position chart I can download for a dependent double rotor horn?
-
I'm going to be play testing a stock Duo Gravis in a couple of days and I have never played a double rotor horn. If it works out I might be buying it.
-
Thanks
afugate

Re: Position chart

Post by afugate »

bigbandbone wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:36 am Could someone post a link to a position chart I can download for a dependent double rotor horn?
-
I'm going to be play testing a stock Duo Gravis in a couple of days and I have never played a double rotor horn. If it works out I might be buying it.
-
Thanks
Do you know which valve tuning you're looking at?

The stock second valve is "E" tuning (drops just a half step). There is an available "D" extension that adds tubing length to bring the "E" tuning down to "D".

--Andy in OKC
bigbandbone

Post by bigbandbone »

afugate wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:01 am
bigbandbone wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:36 am Could someone post a link to a position chart I can download for a dependent double rotor horn?
-
-
Thanks
Do you know which valve tuning you're looking at?

The stock second valve is "E" tuning (drops just a half step). There is an available "D" extension that adds tubing length to bring the "E" tuning down to "D".

--Andy in OKC
Let's go with E tuning.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There isn't much use for a 2nd valve in E except for two notes: C now in T5 and B in T6 (with both valves). What you know about F positions should translate just fine.

With a D 2nd valve, low C is now where 4th position is on the Bb side, Db in a longish T2, B in a longish T4 and you may be able to find Bb at the end of the slide.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

Here's a link to a PDF with a good position chart for regular, F, and D:

http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/faq/fa ... art_01.pdf
Baker

Post by Baker »

-
-
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Others have posted charts for Bb-F-D; Here is a chart for Bb-F-Flat E; a lot of D-G's are set up that way.

I suppose I should include the standard caution, just in case some newbie bass trombonist reads this thread some day:
The position charts just get you in the general neighborhood. Use your ears and find the spot where the note is in tune without lipping it up or down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I've always wondered how many people use the valves over the third partial regularly. I've been brainstorming, probably a bit too much, on what I'd really "gain" if I decide to pick up an independent bass trombone.

I've also been thinking about about the "G-Valve" movement, and how it may make more sense for a tenor player to have a G attachment than an F attachment, if the valve is looked at primarily as a way to reduce large slide movements.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Teaching & Learning”