Inconsistent Tone; Just a Bad Day(s)?

How and what to teach and learn.
FullPedalTrombonist

Inconsistent Tone; Just a Bad Day(s)?

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

I’ve noticed, and I’m sure we all have these days, that every so often since I’m not playing as much as I used to things don’t settle well right off the bat. I’ll need a couple warm up tunes before things feel normal then sometimes endurance or ability trails off sooner than usual. Obviously different than accidentally overblowing in a venue that gives no feedback or playing a outdoor summer gig not being able to catch a breath in the heat. I put the horn on the face and there’s some disconnect between what I know I can do, the actual soft machine, and what happens on the other side of the bell.

This happens more than it used to. Back then it was more because of fatigue. Now I think it’s because I don’t play enough. I don’t think I’ve gotten lazy about my approach to playing. So what should I do? I don’t have the time anymore to set up, sit down, and practice much. I don’t have the time available to commit to any more bands either.
BGuttman

Re: Inconsistent Tone; Just a Bad Day(s)?

Post by BGuttman »

Do a little buzzing. If you are driving to and from work, a little workout in the car during the commute can help. Leave a spare mouthpiece in the car. If you carpool, just carry it with you.

If you have your own space, leave a trombone out and set up. If you have a few minutes, go in and toot a few notes. It's not a real practice session, but you'd be amazed what you can retain with just a little work.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Grah

Post by Grah »

Yes Bruce, I certainly agree and I have had a spare mouthpiece in my car sitting just in front of the shift for many years (about 40 years!). It has not stopped the almost inevitable loss of lip that age brings, but has certainly allowed me to keep playing, even if I have had to slip down the trombone line from first to third.

Just one thing. In Australia it is illegal to use your mobile while driving. They are even planning on installing cameras to detect drivers using their phones. These new high-definition cameras have already detected more than 11,000 drivers using their mobile phones during a month-long test during October. I just wonder how they are going to feel about us playing our mouthpieces? :o
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

We have similar laws here (New Hampshire and Massachusetts). You can buzz the mouthpiece while keeping your eyes on the road. Only issue is that I have only one hand on the steering wheel. Have to be extra diligent.

Off Topic: Grah, how are the fires doing out your way? You safe?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Grah

Post by Grah »

The fires did not affect the area of Queensland where I am located (Between Brisbane and the Gold Coast) but we did have to put up with a lot of smoke haze, mainly blowing down from North of Brisbane. The current problem in some areas is flooding, due to the end of a very long drought. I have to say that overall it was a very different Summer to anything I have experienced previously. The only good thing coming out of the recent weather is that the Government are now starting to take global warming seriously and legislate accordingly. About bloody time!
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

I freebuzz often in the car, but it makes a mess of my windscreen :pant:

I have some friends between Gold Coast and Bundaberg. They seemed okay as well. Glad to hear about some good Climate Legislation somewhere!
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Maybe it's an issue with how you spend the rest of the day as well, can you cut time spent on other things to squeeze in a little more practice?

Return to “Teaching & Learning”