My lips swollen

How and what to teach and learn.
233545jjj

My lips swollen

Post by 233545jjj »

My lips swollen after 30 minutes playing and it influence my playing significantly. Could anyone give some suggestion? THX
baileyman

Re: My lips swollen

Post by baileyman »

First, assume 30 min is too long and break it up. Two 15 min sessions may help. Second, pay attention to the first indication of swelling and stop. Try again later. Three, rest between things you play during the 15 min. 1:1 is not a bad rule, lots of rest in there.

But finally, there could be various reasons you are trying too hard. That takes time and experience.

After many years, for instance on the experience part, I have become aware of how useful it is to do some vigorous breathing to get everything moving, and low lip buzzing to get a tingling sensation before playing. I am amazed how this kind of warm up increase the chance I get a good workout. It can take about 15 min on its own.
BGuttman

Re: My lips swollen

Post by BGuttman »

Bauleyman made good suggestions. I'd also make sure that your mouthpiece is clean. If there is worn plating, put something on the exposed brass (nail polish works well, if only temporarily) because you may have an allergy to the brass.

Also, make sure you aren't pressing too hard. Putting a lot of pressure from the mouthpiece on your lips will cause swelling. You should use enough pressure to prevent leaks and no more.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Teaching & Learning”