Middle/Low range

How and what to teach and learn.
Jackr34

Middle/Low range

Post by Jackr34 »

I am working on Mahler 3 and am struggling to play loud with any kind of efficiency and not splat on my low range. I have struggled with a great high range and sub par low range in the past but I have mostly solved that problem. Now I am just struggling on volume and efficiency in the low range. I have mostly just been buzzing does anyone have any other tips or exercises. Thanks.
Doug Elliott

Re: Middle/Low range

Post by Doug Elliott »

The chances are your mouthpiece is too small for you. That limits middle and low range volume, and makes you have to shift for low notes. Does that sound familiar?
What are you using?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Jackr34

Post by Jackr34 »

I am using a Hammond 11ml which is very similar to a bach 4 or schilke 52
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I didn't like the Hammond 11ML. I found it too shallow and had poor low range. If you really like Hammond, an 11L or 11XL might be better. I generally play a Wick 4BL or an Elliott G cup (102 rim).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I obviously don't know your playing or your embouchure, that was just a guess based on "great high range and sub par low range." I suppose it could also be the opposite, too big for you. Or something you're doing or not doing. Not enough information here.
Jackr34

Post by Jackr34 »

Do you have any suggestions for exercises or concepts that I can try with my current hardware. Thanks
FullPedalTrombonist

Post by FullPedalTrombonist »

Personally during my quest to regain my chops for range stuff I try to work through the Phil Teele book as well as just doing regular range and flexibility stuff as high and as low as I can. It’s a slog, but mostly because of the amount of time I can dedicate. Keep track of where you bottom out. Make your lowest note a focus when working on attacks and tone and volume. Then work lower. Figure out a melody that you can play to hit your lowest note while playing effortlessly and melodically and play it the next half step lower when you can.

As far as chop stuff I’m no expert. If your mouthpiece really is the wrong size or you’re doing something that isn’t optimal for your chops I’d be looking for someone in person or a Doug Skype session
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It's impossible to recommend anything with absolutely no knowledge of your playing.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

The number of players with great low ranges on differing instruments and wildly different mouthpiece suggests there exists a practice solution. My own practice works flexibility over the entire range, and every range improves, though slowly. When I work on getting back and forth from one note to another, it's a focus on moving from the tuning for one note to the tuning for the other, the mouth and chop tuning, that is. Funny how often it's the lower note that is the problem. The closer it gets to bang bang bang bang the better. And when it happens, the lower note is great. The practice is to get the movement to happen increasingly regularly.
griffinben

Post by griffinben »

Take a local or skype lesson with a GOOD teacher - they will better be able to diagnose and recommend a solution.

Look to equipment last unless it lies outside the range of normalcy.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”