Tongue Controlled Embochure

How and what to teach and learn.
baileyman

Re: Tongue Controlled Embochure

Post by baileyman »

brassmedic wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:11 pm
baileyman wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:13 pm Wow, that guy has a set for each pitch.
Those are pretty extreme changes in register. I doubt anyone could play pedals and high notes with exactly the same setting.
Some of those pitch changes were pretty close.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Some of those notes were pretty close.

And furthermore, there are basically two ways to set your lips vibrating. The first is the rush of air through the aperture drops the pressure and sets the soft tissue vibrating as the pressure alternates.

The second way is to squeeze the flesh together and force the air through, then the high pressure of the air pushes the flesh out of the way and it elastically springs back. This appears to be what he is doing, like a high frequency fart.
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

Kbiggs wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:23 am Aidan’s youtube on false/falset/factitious tones:
Thanks
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

I did not have a chance to to use my computer for a while, but to find out how Bahb Civiletti play I checked this youtube clip

no doubt the guy can play. Just to be fair.

The tce may work very good for baroque trumpet. ?

Somebody wonder about pedal tones on brass instrument, pedals are used on and vritten for tuba, French horn, euphonium and trombone, can be played on flugehorn but not (I think) written for, actually there is a trumpet concert that use some "pedal tones", sorry to say, they sound terrible. Even when played by a good player.

Why are all the trumpet player who demostrate pedals on the youtube so often play one semitone sharp, they say dubble pedal CCC and "play" a noice that could be a C# ???? Anybody? Why don´t the use the valves to corredct the tone? Did Maynard play "pedals"?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Do we care about trumpet pedal tones?
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:40 am Do we care about trumpet pedal tones?
Some of my best friends are trumpetplayers. :hi:

Well there is some brass teachers on this forum.
Some of us are a bit interested in brass instruments i general, how they work and how the are taught.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I'm not trying to put down the trumpet or teaching brass. But I'd put trumpet pedal tones up there with lip multiphonics in terms of needing to teach or play them.

I don't think I've heard Alison Balsom play a pedal tone, and I'm OK with that! If pedal tones on the trumpet are the reason to teach this type of embouchure, I'd ask the same question all over again.
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

"Pedal tones" are used in the TCE method. It is also used by lots of other trumpet teachings. I am not impressed of "trumpet pedals", they are not allways produced with usefull embouchure that you can play normal tones with. They sound unplessent. They are not in anyway copareble with trombone pedal tones.

The problem for many brass teachers is that they often have students in wind groups that play those noise as sone as they can. I am not so sure that those do anything good.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Basbasun wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:03 am The problem for many brass teachers is that they often have students in wind groups that play those noise as sone as they can. I am not so sure that those do anything good.
Maybe it will convince them to try the trombone and switch to the "dark side" of the force? :)

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Teaching & Learning”