a Split Tone Primer

How and what to teach and learn.
WilliamLang

a Split Tone Primer

Post by WilliamLang »

Hi all!

I do a lot of contemporary playing and working with composers, and a question that comes up a lot in masterclasses and reading workshops is "what are split tones?" I decided to make a video today (I seem to have a lot of free time on my hands for some reason) that is an introduction to split tones.

The video is split into four sections: what split tones are, how to play them, what they sound like on alto and tenor trombone, and some bonus material covering harmon and plunger mutes. My vlogging style definitely isn't super polished yet, but I hope some of you all find it interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQSGY-aXK5U

I also would like to point out that a fellow board member here @mbarbier is also a great resource for this technique (he performs a piece called facesplitter that is really really cool if you're into crazy sound worlds)
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
harrisonreed

Re: a Split Tone Primer

Post by harrisonreed »

I learned how to do this for the piece "Arabenne". Basically a pedal tone embouchure but overblowing in the mid register. Sometimes flutter tonguing helps get it started until you figure out how to do it properly.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”