Transposing Horn Music

How and what to teach and learn.
Mikebmiller

Transposing Horn Music

Post by Mikebmiller »

It has occurred to me that if I could read horn parts, I have a boatload of quintet music that I could play all the parts on for fun. I understand that for F horn, the 2nd line on the staff is read on trombone as C. Is that the C 1 ledger line above the bass clef staff or the octave below it? And how does one adjust the key signature. I am used to reading trumpet music using the old "pretend it's tenor and add 2 flats" method, but I am not sure how to do this with horn music.

Thanks
Kbiggs

Re: Transposing Horn Music

Post by Kbiggs »

It’s called mezzo soprano clef. Pretend that the second line from the bottom is middle C, and add one flat. Watch your B’s and F’s.

The alternative is to turn around, stick your hand in the bell, play out of tune, and kack random notes, but no less than every 5th note so...
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

F horns sound a perfect fifth below the written pitch. So, the written G in the treble clef translates to sounding middle C, which would be the first ledger line above the bass clef. F horn and trombone ranges are actually pretty similar, so most of the time playing a F horn part on trombone is quite feasible. Especially on a small bore horn, or if you really want to give your brain a workout, alto trombone.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I played in a quintet that couldn't find a French horn player so the leader asked me to take the spot. The leader, a retired band director, used software to transpose the horn part for trombone. It was a great way for me to expand my high range.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I don't transpose it on the fly, but an alto with Bb attachment works so well as a replacement for horn in a quintet
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

A small to medium bore tenor works very fine on french horn parts in F. A valve might make some things easier, so I used a YSL 356 G for it. You get easily used to the transposition, just practice easy stuff first, such that your brain has time to connect the dots. After a couple of weeks you will read it fluently. Have fun!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Thanks guys. I have been playing with reading some horn stuff tonight. I think I may get the hang of it pretty quick. I have found that thinking of it up one step to the bass clef note and then up an octave helps.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Some folks work better using an interval transposition (as you have) and others work better using a clef. Whatever works for you is good.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I was told years ago to (and I hope I remember this correctly) play the part using Alto Trombone positions but your playing Tenor. I`ll try it today and see if it does work. Like I said that was a while ago.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

dukesboneman wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:22 am I was told years ago to (and I hope I remember this correctly) play the part using Alto Trombone positions but your playing Tenor. I`ll try it today and see if it does work. Like I said that was a while ago.
My brain doesn’t work that fast.
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

dukesboneman wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:22 am I was told years ago to (and I hope I remember this correctly) play the part using Alto Trombone positions but your playing Tenor. I`ll try it today and see if it does work. Like I said that was a while ago.
No, that will make you play a fourth lower, not a fifth (unless we're talking alto in F)

What would work is the opposite, playing on alto trombone but using tenor positions, but that also requires reading the part an octave lower (i.e. octaviated treble Clef aka modern tenor voice clef).

But in my experience the most efficient and comfortable way to transpose is the one that involves the fewest steps in your brain, usually that's using a different clef or transposing by direct interval.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I am picking it up pretty fast. I have always loved the horn solo in the Kamen brass quintet, so I a working on an overdub version of that, playing all the parts on bone. It has been a fun few days trying to get it right.
Arrowhead

Post by Arrowhead »

Looking at F Horn music, the 2nd ledger line from the bottom becomes Middle C. Then you just add one flat to the key signature.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”