Spit problems

How and what to teach and learn.
ericcheng2005

Spit problems

Post by ericcheng2005 »

So, I produce a bunch of spit. So much in fact that it leaks onto the rim and I have to wipe my lips every 20 seconds. Is there any solution besides forcing the mouthpiece into my face so hard that my teeth hurt?
Doug Elliott

Re: Spit problems

Post by Doug Elliott »

Some mouthpiece cup shapes collect spit like that. Or your horn angle is such that it comes back at you by gravity. There may be ways around it but I'd need more information to guess anything.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:50 pm Some mouthpiece cup shapes collect spit like that. Or your horn angle is such that it comes back at you by gravity. There may be ways around it but I'd need more information to guess anything.
Horn angled downwards

Bach 5GB mouthpiece

Hope this helps! :)
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

The 5GB is the one with the really rounded rim, right? Sounds like spit is getting out somewhere. Do you eat or drink while playing at all?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
ericcheng2005

Post by ericcheng2005 »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:56 pm The 5GB is the one with the really rounded rim, right? Sounds like spit is getting out somewhere. Do you eat or drink while playing at all?
Yes, I use the 5GB because wide, flat rims hurt my face. I don't eat or drink.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”