Must have books

How and what to teach and learn.
AwesomeDad

Must have books

Post by AwesomeDad »

Ok be gentle,
Just bought my first trombone (Yamaha 897Z) looking at must have practice books. I’m a low brass guy and have a lot of the tuba books.(some trumpet and French horn books as well) I know some can be used but looking for trombone specific.

JJ
Elow

Re: Must have books

Post by Elow »

Rochut melodious etudes for trombone
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

Brad Edwards Lip Slurs and Trombone Craft are two incredible books that cover basically everything and are well organized to help you.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Once you have you feet wet, get the Blazhevice School for Trombone (free on IMSLP) or the Clef Studies (same book, but published in the US). Very difficult exercises with 3 clefs -- a must for orchestral players.

Another free one on IMSLP: Mantia "The Trombone Virtuoso".

There is a newer version of Arban's from Joe Alessi and Brian Bowman. Good practice of fundamentals. The old Randall/Mantia version is OK too, but the Alessi/Bowman has more of the original material (and avoids those obscene key signatures with 8 flats).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Lots of good suggestions here.

If you're interested in working on tenor clef, you might consider:
Snedecor – Études for Trombone (PAS Music)
20 études, all in tenor clef, in 31 pages. $20.00 + 5.95 shipping from Hickey’s
Varied key signatures, time signatures, and tempos within these 20 études.
Not just academic exercises - Interesting, just challenging enough, and fun to play.

For my own pleasure, I've really enjoyed playing Gershwin:
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/ge ... ic/3803693
Very nice songs to play with piano accompaniment. Room to improvise if you want. And if you can't get together with a pianist, there's a "playalong" CD included. 11 songs, only $16.99.
AwesomeDad

Post by AwesomeDad »

Posaunus wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:59 pm Lots of good suggestions here.

If you're interested in working on tenor clef, you might consider:
Snedecor – Études for Trombone (PAS Music)
20 études, all in tenor clef, in 31 pages. $20.00 + 5.95 shipping from Hickey’s
Varied key signatures, time signatures, and tempos within these 20 études.
Not just academic exercises - Interesting, just challenging enough, and fun to play.

For my own pleasure, I've really enjoyed playing Gershwin:
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/ge ... ic/3803693
Very nice songs to play with piano accompaniment. Room to improvise if you want. And if you can't get together with a pianist, there's a "playalong" CD included. 11 songs, only $16.99.
Heck yeah I love phil low brass books mit check out the others...

JJ
bbalika

Post by bbalika »

A great accompaniment to the Brad Edwards book is the Bai Lin Lip Slurs book. I also like the Brad Edwards Lip Slur Melodies book. (Covers high range, low range, getting you out of your comfort zone, tenor clef, etc.) The Tyrell 40 Progressive Etudes book is also frequently on my stand.

Playing etudes you know out of the Arban's would probably be beneficial to help you get used to the slide as well!
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

What am I missing here? The OP stated that he bought a Yamaha 897Z. According to Yamaha, the 897Z is a small-bore straight horn. Can the Brad Edwards Lip Slur book be played on a straight horn? I must be misunderstanding something.
bbalika

Post by bbalika »

TimBrown wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:51 pm What am I missing here? The OP stated that he bought a Yamaha 897Z. According to Yamaha, the 897Z is a small-bore straight horn. Can the Brad Edwards Lip Slur book be played on a straight horn? I must be misunderstanding something.
You make a good point! There are some exercises that need a trigger. I still use the book when I’m practicing my small bore tenor. I either skip the trigger specific exercises, or work on false tones.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

OK. That's a good work-around. I rewrote some as well.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I agree with the idea of using studies based on the etudes that you know well from tuba, euph, etc. They are already in your head.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

bbalika wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:05 pm
TimBrown wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:51 pm What am I missing here? The OP stated that he bought a Yamaha 897Z. According to Yamaha, the 897Z is a small-bore straight horn. Can the Brad Edwards Lip Slur book be played on a straight horn? I must be misunderstanding something.
You make a good point! There are some exercises that need a trigger. I still use the book when I’m practicing my small bore tenor. I either skip the trigger specific exercises, or work on false tones.
There's always pretending it's in tenor clef too!
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

the Marstellar Basic Routines is also an excellent book that doesn't require a valve but does have great false tone exercises.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Also, even if the OP has only a straight horn, they might have another horn anyway. Plus this thread can help many people in the future.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Look into Cimera 55 Phrasing Studies. Its like Rochut but easier and shorter. Paisner’s Swing Studies for trombone is a good but easier jazz etude book. And Arban.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Fink's Studies in Legato is like a pre-Rochut Rochut.

For what it's worth, Rochut transcribed vocalises of Marco Bordogni, changing keys to fit trombone. Others have also published transcriptions of Bordogni (notably David Schwartz). Bordogni's vocalises are a great way to develop musicianship although not terribly good for developing technique.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
earlymodern

Post by earlymodern »

https://open.bu.edu/handle/2144/30201
This method book by Dr. Malamut is chock-full of diminutions on renaissance melodies transcribed in clear modern notation. I wish I had had this when I was staring out.
srburger

Post by srburger »

JJ,

Coming to trombone from tuba, you already know notation, theory, and musicianship. What you probably don't know much about is trombone positions and playing legato on the trombone. The following would get you up to speed pretty quickly:

Walter Beeler Method for Trombone (volume 1) - The best beginning book for an adult.
Reginald Fink - Studies in Legato - Everything you need to know about playing legato on trombone.
Brad Edwards - The Intermediate Trombonist - Covers everything a developing trombonist needs and more.

If you're still interested in trombone playing after that...

Brad Edwards - Trombone Craft (vol. 1, 2 & 3 together in one book) and/or...
Rubank Advanced Method for Trombone (vol. 1 & 2)

Arban (in every trombonist's library)
Rochut Melodious Etudes for Trombone (ditto)
Kopprasch Sixty Selected Studies (ditto)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Books I would definitely want in my library, depending of course on how far along you are:

- Arbans (Alessi/Bowman) or Mantia virtuoso for great fundamentals
- Kleinhammer - Art of Trombone - a lot of text if you need to get fundamentals without a teacher
- LaFosse Method - multiple books, wider range of material than Arbans
- Slama, Blume, Schlossberg, Kahila, Kopprasch, Blazevich - for general etudes and clef reading
- Marsteller - Basic Routines and Advanced Slide Technique
- Rochut 1, 2 & 3
- Smith - Top Tones for Trumpet - great for transposition, clefs, more technical than Rochut
- Bach cello suites, I have the LaFosse edition transposed up a 4th for tenor players, the original is prefered by bass players. This is a huge book for intervals, lip slurs, breath control and phrasing
- Teleman Flute Fantasies edited by Alan Raph - like the cello suites, athletic and big on intervals and breath control
- Marcel Bitsch (yes, that's really the name) advanced rhythmic reading, notated rubato

BASS BONE SPECIFIC
- Aharoni - New Method for Modern Bass Bone, Non-Classical Bass Trombone (***favorite bass bone book)
- Blair Bollinger - Two Valves Use Both (bass bone alternate positions)
- Brad Edwards - Bass trombone craft
- Elementary Etudes - Tommy Pedersen
- Allen Ostrander - half a dozen small books for single and double valve bass bone

I think all trombonists need to have:

- a pile of random interesting and challenging duet books.
- general song books in treble or bass clef
- a set of hymnals from various persuasions
- a collection of real books
- a collection of excerpts

Remember you can have these in digital and/or print formats.
AwesomeDad

Post by AwesomeDad »

hyperbolica wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:46 pm Books I would definitely want in my library, depending of course on how far along you are:

- Arbans (Alessi/Bowman) or Mantia virtuoso for great fundamentals
- Kleinhammer - Art of Trombone - a lot of text if you need to get fundamentals without a teacher
- LaFosse Method - multiple books, wider range of material than Arbans
- Slama, Blume, Schlossberg, Kahila, Kopprasch, Blazevich - for general etudes and clef reading
- Marsteller - Basic Routines and Advanced Slide Technique
- Rochut 1, 2 & 3
- Smith - Top Tones for Trumpet - great for transposition, clefs, more technical than Rochut
- Bach cello suites, I have the LaFosse edition transposed up a 4th for tenor players, the original is prefered by bass players. This is a huge book for intervals, lip slurs, breath control and phrasing
- Teleman Flute Fantasies edited by Alan Raph - like the cello suites, athletic and big on intervals and breath control
- Marcel Bitsch (yes, that's really the name) advanced rhythmic reading, notated rubato

BASS BONE SPECIFIC
- Aharoni - New Method for Modern Bass Bone, Non-Classical Bass Trombone (***favorite bass bone book)
- Blair Bollinger - Two Valves Use Both (bass bone alternate positions)
- Brad Edwards - Bass trombone craft
- Elementary Etudes - Tommy Pedersen
- Allen Ostrander - half a dozen small books for single and double valve bass bone

I think all trombonists need to have:

- a pile of random interesting and challenging duet books.
- general song books in treble or bass clef
- a set of hymnals from various persuasions
- a collection of real books
- a collection of excerpts

Remember you can have these in digital and/or print formats.
Ok my wallet has cried uncle but great options thank you...

JJ

Return to “Teaching & Learning”