Tommy Pederson

How and what to teach and learn.
DakoJack

Tommy Pederson

Post by DakoJack »

Working through Tommy Pederson 15 advanced etudes and was thinking about how a lot of it seems easier with a trigger. But Pederson to my knowledge did a lot of playing with a straight horn. Do you think that the etudes should be approached with a trigger or the lack of being part of what you're working on. Interested in everyone's thoughts I must admit I don't know as much about Pederson as a player as I'd like so I'm open to being corrected on his playing situation.
Burgerbob

Re: Tommy Pederson

Post by Burgerbob »

I would assume he had the F attachment in mind. The LA dudes all had straight and F attachment horns (more double pay that way).
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

Have you ever played his bass stuff? All over the place!

From all the stories I've heard of him from my teachers... he was definitely trying to push the envelope for trombone music. He may not have used a trigger horn much for his work but he definitely wrote with the trigger in mind.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
torobone

Post by torobone »

Tommy Pederson taught many people and put out a series of duets and books. I have a PDF of "The Out of Print Bass Bone Duets".
Martin Hubel
Tenors: Yamaha 891Z, 354, 697Z (on loan)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1942 NY Bach 50B
Alto: 1980 Bach 39
Lidl Bass Trumpet (on loan)
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

As said above, he definitely had his take on trombone and trombone literature.

Probably for the sake of a good work out and to learn to play all over the horn you should play with and with out the trigger when possible.

His trombone choir stuff is wicked hard.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)
Jimprindle

Post by Jimprindle »

In the 70's I had the privilege of going to a few sessions at Hoyt's Garage. Earlier I had the gotten the first books Tommy had published (the Date publications, probably the best stuff of all Tommy's published music). Over coffee at a break I asked Tommy about his training and how he thought to write for trombone like he did. He told me something like this, "When I was in high school I dated a flute player and her music was much more interesting than mine, so I decided to write and play music like some of the best flute, violin,etc that was out there. It was just more fun to play."
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I have also played the 15 Advanced Etudes as well as the 15 Inermediate Etudes for both tenor and bass. I think he had a straight horn in mind for his tenor etudes.

There are a few D's in them but they are not to difficult to do as factitious notes. If he had a trigger trombone in mind I think he had written a lot more difficult in the low register to force us to really use the trigger. As someone said "the bass etudes are all over the place". If you look at what he wrote in the low register compared to what's in the bass book then whats in the tenor book is VERY easy.

iIf he had a trigger tenor in mind I think he had given us as much work in the low register as he did in the high register. It is not to much slide work and the few notes you have to do as factitious notes are often quite friendly. Factitious notes was something the professionals knew how to do back then.

/Tom
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Thrawn22 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:02 pmHis trombone choir stuff is wicked hard.
And yet it's not hard for sake of being hard (and we've all seen that sort of stuff before). He wrote what he wanted to hear - with little to no mercy, admittedly, but it wasn't about making it hard, it was about giving trombonist the chance to play the kinds of parts that we normally don't get to see.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

torobone wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:09 pm Tommy Pederson taught many people and put out a series of duets and books. I have a PDF of "The Out of Print Bass Bone Duets".
Torobone, I PM-ed you about this... :good:
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

torobone wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:09 pm Tommy Pederson taught many people and put out a series of duets and books. I have a PDF of "The Out of Print Bass Bone Duets".
Any chance that this can be shared since they are out of print? I would interested in a copy if available.
Steve
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

sacfxdx wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:28 pm
Any chance that this can be shared since they are out of print? I would interested in a copy if available.
I too would be interested because I’m going to work on my bass trombone this summer.

Thanks, John
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Problem is "Out of Print" does not mean "Out of Copyright". I know Chuck at Hickey's was in discussions with Pederson's estate to see if he could reprint the books but I don't know if he was successful.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
cmcslide

Post by cmcslide »

johntarr

Post by johntarr »

Of course, if they’re available from Hickey’s then we shouldn’t pass around copies.
torobone

Post by torobone »

cmcslide wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:16 pm Are these the ones?

https://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/tro ... nes-10.php
No, it's a different book. And we all agree, every time this comes up, that for sale material should never be distributed.
Martin Hubel
Tenors: Yamaha 891Z, 354, 697Z (on loan)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1942 NY Bach 50B
Alto: 1980 Bach 39
Lidl Bass Trumpet (on loan)
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

My understanding is that Tommy did not use a valve. The story I heard is that a player showed up to Hoyt's garage with his 88h, and Tommy said, "what'd you bring a bass trombone for?"

Also, the way you got a double in the studios was by specifically NOT ever bringing an F attachment horn to a session. You brought a straight tenor and a BASS trombone.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

When this was written the false tones (factitious notes) was well known. Look up "Practise withe experts" by Paul Tanner. This technique is at least 420 years old. Low D is very easy on 5th position.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”