Buzzy spit sound coming from embouchure

How and what to teach and learn.
Rusty

Buzzy spit sound coming from embouchure

Post by Rusty »

I’ve noticed a kind of buzzy spit sound in my tone for the last few months and it’s been super frustrating trying to work out what it is. I particularly notice it on my small horn (Shires MD+) but it’s there on my large tenor and sometimes bass too. I feel I’m producing more saliva in my mouthpiece too.

I’ve never had issues with an unfocused or buzzy sound, that’s usually one of my strong points, so I’m a bit unsure exactly why it’s happening.

Over the last year or so I have been experimenting with bigger mouthpieces on the small tenor, and am playing more large tenor and bass too, so I wondered if my embouchure has changed and is struggling to keep focus. I’ve been swapping around quite a few mouthpieces across all horns of late too so I wonder if my chops are just ‘confused’.

Anyone experienced this before? Any comments or suggestions appreciated.
Doug Elliott

Re: Buzzy spit sound coming from embouchure

Post by Doug Elliott »

Have you been growing facial hair lately like a lot of people since the pandemic started? That can cause those same symptoms, from the mouthpiece not sealing very well. Or simply not enough mouthpiece pressure to seal.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:39 am Have you been growing facial hair lately like a lot of people since the pandemic started? That can cause those same symptoms, from the mouthpiece not sealing very well. Or simply not enough mouthpiece pressure to seal.
I’ve had short stubble for quite a while now and keep it short (it’s 3mm), so that could be something worth looking at?

There’s no air escaping the sides of the embouchure at all, it feels and sounds more like right at the aperture as the lips are vibrating. I’ve tried different embouchure positions and angles and thinking more open or very firm, and it kind of gets better but then it’s back...there’s not one position or setting that seems to fix it.

I think this is the cost of playing around with too many different mouthpieces across 3 horns!
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

I have a beard since 2016 and had an awkward feeling when I played. Soon I decided I had to shave where the mouthpiece sits. If you play trombone mouthpieces and tuba mouthpieces then the tuba size dictates the beard (or you learn to play with the rim on the beard).

The problem could be many things but since it has started now it could be corona-related somewhat. Then I'm thinking of the change of circumstances. Maybe you don't play the same as you usually do. I live in a house and nearest neighbour's live more than 50 meters away. I can play as loud as I need and as often as I need. Do you use a practice-mute when family is at home? I think it is important to practice without a mute. To me a mute is only for the first 5 minutes of warmup. Are family members at home when you practice? I have no family at home, but if I had that would be a problem because I would have to seek a place where they are not disturbed and I would also be affected of their presence while practicing. I would probably not practice all the things I'm doing now. Could this be it?

/Tom
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

imsevimse wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:06 am I have a beard since 2016 and had an awkward feeling when I played. Soon I decided I had to shave where the mouthpiece sits. If you play trombone mouthpieces and tuba mouthpieces then the tuba size dictates the beard (or you learn to play with the rim on the beard).

The problem could be many things but since it has started now it could be corona-related somewhat. Then I'm thinking of the change of circumstances. Maybe you don't play the same as you usually do. I live in a house and nearest neighbour's live more than 50 meters away. I can play as loud as I need and as often as I need. Do you use a practice-mute when family is at home? I think it is important to practice without a mute. To me a mute is only for the first 5 minutes of warmup. Are family members at home when you practice? I have no family at home, but if I had that would be a problem because I would have to seek a place where they are not disturbed and I would also be affected of their presence while practicing. I would probably not practice all the things I'm doing now. Could this be it?

/Tom
I did move house around a year ago, and moved from somewhere I could practice freely without a mute most of the time, to now somewhere where I rarely get the house to myself, so I do use my practice mute or a cup mute fairly often. I also feel while I’ve learnt a lot about how my embouchure works (or so I thought) trying bigger rims, I’m definitely down on personal practice time...I’m teaching full time so lots of on and off the face demonstrating phrases etc, but not much time to myself. I’d say my embouchure hasn’t felt ‘normal’ for quite a while so I’d say this might have something to do with it, but I’m just not sure how to fix it. Thanks for your response Tom!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I'd be happy to spend a few minutes with you on Skype... Sent you an email but too late now, I have to sleep. Maybe later?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Teaching & Learning”