Interleaved Practice

How and what to teach and learn.
kbryson

Interleaved Practice

Post by kbryson »

One of the blogs I regularly follow, Bulletproof Musician, recently ran an article on interleaved practice. In a nutshell this is a practice method wherein you rotate between two or three unrelated topics during your practice session. You can read more about it here: https://bulletproofmusician.com/why-the ... ht-part-2/.

Anyone tried this and have thoughts on it? I'm going to try doing it during my practice sessions this week!
johntarr

Re: Interleaved Practice

Post by johntarr »

I’ve read a fair amount about this and use it in my practice regularly. It’s just one of several ways to improve practice quality that seem counterintuitive at first sight.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

It makes a lot of sense to me. If I play a note 20 times concentrating on a clean attack, 19 of those notes are out of context for how I'll encounter them, because they were preceded by another note.

I took a lesson from a ball golf pro years ago prior to playing a celebrity event at work, and he would periodically interrupt me and ask a question about math or music to interrupt the flow of swing after swing, because I would never hit a ball on the course on the 20th swing.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Tried this approach today, for the first time, on section in chart I’d never nailed. It worked for me. Another great example of how this place helps. Thank you for the insight.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal

Return to “Teaching & Learning”