Doubling dilemma

How and what to teach and learn.
JCBone

Doubling dilemma

Post by JCBone »

Hello all. I am primarily a tenor player and have recently picked up bass. I have to say, I enjoy playing bass about 10x as much as tenor and therefore, I was thinking about making the switch. However, I don't want to stop playing tenor because I don't want to miss out on the solo repertoire and the ensemble opportunities. Ideally, I would want to play both to an equally high level but I understand that that is not always possible. What are your recommendations?
Burgerbob

Re: Doubling dilemma

Post by Burgerbob »

Play both.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

If you want to do it or it brings you more opportunity, do it. "Playing bass" often means just playing 3rd or 4th parts, not necessarily playing low notes. It's not always/often glamorous.

Your situation will kind of wind up dictating what you play. You'll probably wind up playing whichever has a greater need.

Practice both, but I think you'll always lean one way or the other. If you really do enjoy bass more than tenor, then there's no reason to deny yourself what you want to do.

I double, and the main thing I enjoy about it is the extra opportunity.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Do whatever you want. It's just music.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I love doubling. I'm nowhere near as good on bass trombone as I am on tenor (also not great, though acceptable), but playing bass gives me additional opportunities and a lot of pleasure.

Before quarantine, I played bass frequently – now at home it's a struggle to remember to practice my bass.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

I have found that one helps the other. And since I love the sound on both, it's always a tough decision which one to play next.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

ArbanRubank wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:35 am I have found that one helps the other. And since I love the sound on both, it's always a tough decision which one to play next.
I am having that same situation but between tenor and baritone. :D
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’ve spent the last few months of the lockdown working on my bass trombone skills. They are coming along. I think it’s going to be difficult to get my chops into a tenor-sized mouthpiece if and when that time comes.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Bach5G wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:01 pm I’ve spent the last few months of the lockdown working on my bass trombone skills. They are coming along. I think it’s going to be difficult to get my chops into a tenor-sized mouthpiece if and when that time comes.
That's always the challenge for me as well. Something I have found helps me in transition is to stay away from the shallower cups a while on tenor. IOW's, if I normally use a Bach 12C on small-bore tenor, I'll pop in a straight Bach 12 at first.

Hopefully, it will get easier in time for the both of us.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I’ve been eyeing those Alessi tenor mpcs but I get decent results from a 1 and 1/2G plugged into my tenor. Maybe a Faxx 1.5G or a Marc 3 would cover any tenor playing I might encounter in the foreseeable future.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”