Measured Open Breathing For Wind Musicians

How and what to teach and learn.
AndrewMeronek

Measured Open Breathing For Wind Musicians

Post by AndrewMeronek »

My first attempt at this style of lecture video making popular on Youtube, full of jump-cuts. Making this, I was making my own skin crawl and was kind of amazed at just how many "so"s, "ah"s, "um"s, stutters, and weird lip licking that I did during the take. What I took out was way, way worse than what I left in. Yikes!

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
timothy42b

Re: Measured Open Breathing For Wind Musicians

Post by timothy42b »

Good observation. I don't think we can get better at speaking without video, but it's incredibly uncomfortable. Worse than playing.

James Nestor in the book Breath says the healthiest breathing is through the nose at 5.5 seconds in and 5.5 seconds out. But he doesn't play bass trombone.

And then there's Tummo.
https://www.wimhofmethod.com/tummo-meditation
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Very good Andrew. This could help lots of player that have problems like shutting of the airway before relizing the air.
This is really good, and not to complicated.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Basbasun wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:48 am Very good Andrew. This could help lots of player that have problems like shutting of the airway before relizing the air.
This is really good, and not to complicated.
Thanks! :cool:

I don't know about how effective this would be for helping people who can't control shutting off their airway, but it might. I've never had that problem myself and I haven't had students who have had to deal with that, yet.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Return to “Teaching & Learning”