Tomplay

How and what to teach and learn.
RobH

Tomplay

Post by RobH »

Does anyone have any feedback on Tomplay?
It is an interactive sheet music service, similar to 8notes, but with a lot more user options and accompaniments, including vocal accompaniments (verses the computer-generated trombone tone that 8notes uses).
Played for 10 years, relearning now after a 33 year break!
MagnumH

Re: Tomplay

Post by MagnumH »

I briefly checked them out when applying for a job as an engraver there - it was a little underwhelming. The trombone engraving was poor - often in treble clef, switching between concert pitch and B♭ without being marked, and rarely in bass clef. From the 5 minutes I spent there it didn’t look like it would be much fun to play along with.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
RobH

Post by RobH »

MagnumH wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:29 pm ... often in treble clef, switching between concert pitch and B♭ without being marked, and rarely in bass clef.
Interesting, I noticed that too. It's strange that they wouldn't get on their act and transpose the music for bass clef.
Do you it is possible to play in those staves the same if I learned how to read the music for those staves, or is it problematic?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

When you're in the business of putting together paid lessons for people who probably don't know the difference between the two transpositions, and already payed for a subscription (right?), it probably doesn't matter to you.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

I mean, hence why I applied for a job as an engraver.

I can’t comment as to the full play along experience, but the lack of attention to details for the overall feel of it screams Money Grab and Low Quality Product to me.
Matt Hawke
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
RobH

Post by RobH »

I haven't paid for a subscription yet, but was about to!
That's why I'm wondering if learning to play in other transpositions or playing the scores down an octave or two is worth learning or a waste of time, as it appears to be necessary to fully utilize Tomplay.
Last edited by RobH on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

I mean, it’s always worth doing from a practical standpoint. If you know tenor clef then reading treble clef B♭ is the same (in a different key), and reading treble clef concert pitch can always be useful for reading most other music, especially vocal things. But it depends what you want to get out of it - there may be other resources available with better care and attention provided, written more traditionally.

As a caveat, I’m undoubtedly an engraving snob...
Matt Hawke
RobH

Post by RobH »

UPDATE - I reached out to Tomplay and they told me that all trombone music is provided in both Bass Clef ((F-Clef) and Treble Clef (G-Clef) scores.
I just signed up for it, and yes indeed this is true. This is amazing!
IMG_20200820_094627.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”