Learning to double on Flügelhorn

How and what to teach and learn.
MrHCinDE

Learning to double on Flügelhorn

Post by MrHCinDE »

Anyone got any tips for learning to double on Flügelhorn?

I always fancied learning it and picked up a very playable German-style Flügelhorn for a decent price. My Flügelhorn-playing friend tried it out and advised me it‘s a very nice instrument with surprisingly good intonation and general playability.

I play valves already so that‘s not an issue. Other than scales, long notes and Arban or similar what are the particular things to watch out for to build decent small-brass chops and keep the air flow relaxed, but presumably a bit faster than trombone?
Doubler

Re: Learning to double on Flügelhorn

Post by Doubler »

Obviously you'll have a lot less lip to work with, so you'll be focusing on a smaller area available to vibrate. Also, you'll be moving a lot less air to achieve a sound, and you'll be able to play longer phrases before needing to breathe. You'll have to learn how much air to have available in your lungs to achieve what you want to play. The basics of playing all brass instruments remain the same, such as minimal mouthpiece pressure, adjusting the tongue to direct the air in a way to be able to change registers, and most importantly to listen so that you can adjust and improve your playing. Some players adapt rapidly, and some have difficulty. I knew a trombone player who wanted to learn to play field trumpet, and he wasn't able to do it at all, despite a dedicated effort to do so.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

Use a tuner and drones often. Trumpets and cornets are hard enough to get in tune, but some flugels are real bears. Being aware of that in the beginning will go a long way towards fixing it.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Thanks, all sounds like good advice to me.

I had a bit of a blow on it today and actually really enjoyed playing in the comfortable mid-range. The strange thing was, my wife, who has never played anything remotely brassy, had a go and actually got a better sound out of it than me. Maybe she's a natural, or maybe I'm trying to blow it like a trombone.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

MrHCinDE wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 am Thanks, all sounds like good advice to me.

I had a bit of a blow on it today and actually really enjoyed playing in the comfortable mid-range. The strange thing was, my wife, who has never played anything remotely brassy, had a go and actually got a better sound out of it than me. Maybe she's a natural, or maybe I'm trying to blow it like a trombone.
Maybe both.
Current instruments:

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Doubler wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:15 pm
MrHCinDE wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:24 am Thanks, all sounds like good advice to me.

Maybe both.
Absolutely! It wouldn't be the first time her talent and my incompetence are complementary.
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

MrHCinDE wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:04 pm
Doubler wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Maybe both.
Absolutely! It wouldn't be the first time her talent and my incompetence are complementary.
:P
Current instruments:

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau

Return to “Teaching & Learning”