First attempt at multi tracking...

How and what to teach and learn.
harrisonreed

First attempt at multi tracking...

Post by harrisonreed »

I need to improve my work flow and knowledge of my DAW, for sure, but what do you think of this? Just a sample, as I plan on finishing this piece and using it for my own projects. Please tear it to shreds. 3 tenors and 1 alto only -- I want to get the Chris Stearn wessex bass, but can't afford it right now.

ArbanRubank

Re: First attempt at multi tracking...

Post by ArbanRubank »

Sounded good to me!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Thanks! I'm having issues with my DAW where if the tempo changes on the click (very good thing to have happen), rather than the grid size changing, the wav files are resized. This makes editing impossible as previous wav files that begin in another tempo will play out of sync unless you start at the absolutely beginning each and every time.

I think I figured it a solution but it's less than ideal. Makes me want Sequioia
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Wow! That's way too much to have to deal with!

It shouldn't be about how difficult it is to push buttons and manage software. It should be about laying down great tracks. That part is hard enough! The software should be easy to use and if it isn't, then it's time for a change. Editing is tedious enough under the best of circumstances. It shouldn't be knuckle-busting.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:30 pm Thanks! I'm having issues with my DAW where if the tempo changes on the click (very good thing to have happen), rather than the grid size changing, the wav files are resized. This makes editing impossible as previous wav files that begin in another tempo will play out of sync unless you start at the absolutely beginning each and every time.

I think I figured it a solution but it's less than ideal. Makes me want Sequioia
I've had a few of the heavyweight DAW's out there, and over time they've all shifted from audio recording plus MIDI to music production. This happens with every upgrade until the product that you've invested your time and money into is only a minor part of a massive program designed for another purpose. I've ditched all of my music recording software including Plug-ins apart from GarageBand, that's 25+ years worth. Rant over..

So what I would do for this piece is to forget about click tracks entirely, and use a midi instrument to create a composite synth melody lead line which would take the place of a click track. This could be any sound that you like. You can use the time line markers to organise your bar numbers etc, and have a separate track for your own verbal count in's if necessary.
I'd record the lowest parts first, working up to the top. Then at the top, if needs be, I'd re-record any parts that need it and store as many takes as I like, or even work my way down again, improving the parts.

Notice that the Sequioia strap line is "the engineers choice", and not "the musicians choice". Hmm..
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

What DAW are you using? As mentioned, many of the DAWs out there are much more suitable for synth, loop, and sample-based music production. For that sort of thing Ableton, Reason, and even FL Studio are really great to use...not so much when you want to multitrack a lot of brass (though you certainly can). Pro Tools and Reaper, meanwhile, are much more suited to acoustic multitracking, at least to me.

I personally use Reaper, and it would solve your click problems handily. In Reaper you can easily set up the click and grid to change tempo at a certain bar, and even have the bar before slow down or speed up into it. Reaper is also open-source, and immensely powerful. It can do everything the big boys can do. Plus, it has an unlimited free trial (the ONLY limitation is you have to wait to close a pop-up asking you to buy it at startup), and the full license is only $60.

Anyway, sounds great!
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That was done on FL Studio 12.

I really like everything about FL Studio, in particular the POWERFUL midi control it gives you, and the way the playlist works. Even tempo and click tracks are great when controlled by midi. I just wish that, rather than the wav files resizing during tempo changes, the GRID resized. Why? So that every point of a wav clip would line up to the correct spot on the grid, rather than just the start of the clip. As it is currently, tracks only play in time with the click if the play bar passes through the START of the clip.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Yes, Reaper may be your best option, and they have a good relationship with their users regarding feature requests. The main thing I didn't care for was the mass of drop down menus when viewed though my aging eyes..
You'll find that it's made for a broader user base as well.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”