Hearing Aid Experience?

How and what to teach and learn.
pfcastor

Hearing Aid Experience?

Post by pfcastor »

As I’ve aged my hearing has deteriorated to the point that I now have to use hearing aids.

I am not a professional musician but have been playing for fun and enjoyment over the last 40+ years. As it is an important part of my life I still want to continue playing but find the combination of a Bass Trombone and hearing aids to be a real challenge.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any advice on how to deal with this issue?
Geordie

Re: Hearing Aid Experience?

Post by Geordie »

I’ve had hearing aids for the last three years. More severe deterioration in the left ear. When I played with both aids in the sound I was getting was very different to what I’d heard previously. Taking both aids out to play wasn’t an option because of the need to hear the rest of the band and communicate on stage. I settled for taking out the left hearing aid when playing. The sound was the same as before. Take care to remove the battery otherwise it will screech in your pocket if you choose to only use one aid when playing.
The audiologist programmed my digital aids to progressively ramp up the sensitivity to the prescribed level over the course of several weeks. They said this was because to go straight to full prescribed strength would be uncomfortable. If you are in the same position perhaps wait a while before coming to a judgement about how useful they are generally.
I asked the audiologist to consider settings for music listening in a live audience and they added one. To be honest, it’s not much different from the normal conversation setting. They also gave me a setting to help with conversations in an environment with background noise like bars or parties. That helps a little, but I mainly stay in the default conversation setting for day to day living, and playing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
bubba7753

Post by bubba7753 »

I wear hearing aids but not for playing. I don't like the sound the hearing aid lets out when I am playing. The only trouble i have is hearing the conductor When he is talking. You can try wearing just one of the HA
PSJ

Post by PSJ »

I had been fighting the bass bone for a couple of years and for a 60th Birthday present went to the audiologist (2 years ago). Found out I had moderate to severe high end loss in both ears. About 65% genetics/old age and 35% not the best hearing hygiene over the years. I wasn't hearing right which come to find out is why I was fighting the horn.

Last October I got hearing aids, Phonak Marvels. I am a part time pro playing in a regional orchestra and jazz groups. All I can say is the HA can be frustrating. My audiologist programmed all of the stuff Geordie has and I am still tweaking them. With the bass trombone bell right by the left ear I get all sorts of edge and rattles (have glasses also). Because of COVID I didn't get a whole lot of time in the orchestra so most experimentation has been practicing. I have tried one in and one out but that didn't work for me. Getting closer but still haven't found just the right balance of being able to hear the conductor, all the instruments around me, and not overdriving the HA.

I am lucky to have an audiologist who before he got his Aud.D. ran the recording studio I used to do a lot of work for. He has a Masters in Music so at least understands a lot of what I am dealing with. I do think the audiologist makes a lot of difference.

Our orchestra is starting our season in about 4 weeks so we will see if the current tweaks work.
Paul

Custom Getzen Custom 3062AF - Marcinkiewicz 1
And many, many others..........
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

bubba7753 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:45 pm I wear hearing aids but not for playing. I don't like the sound the hearing aid lets out when I am playing. The only trouble i have is hearing the conductor When he is talking. You can try wearing just one of the HA
Same here. I really dislike the sound of playing while wearing my hearing aids. I really only need them when conversing with tablemates in busy restaurants, but since I am not eating out right now, I don't wear them.
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

I would like to revisit this topic. Hearing Aids. I have state of the art? WIDEX, I think they cost a million$. Just coming back to my instrument after many years. Continually shocked by my poor tone, intonation, and tune.(splatty). Then I took them out. Swear to God, sounds like I know what I'm doing. Have approached my audiologist, initially rebuffed. I think she is competent. I'm going to bring the horn with me to my next appointment. Anyone out there having helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.
BoomtownRath

Post by BoomtownRath »

Following this thread with interest. I have hearing aids for the past year, can't play with them in as I get better feedback playwise with them out but as other's have experienced I have trouble hearing the conductor, catch 22 situation.
henrysa

Post by henrysa »

I think one solution is for the conductor to conduct louder. I'm sure its a chronic problem for many band musicians, let's blame the darn trumpet section. Seriously, I have not recorded myself since started back playing. Gotta do that just to play it back with and without my hearing aids and find out which me I'm listening too.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”