Interpreting Blazevich clef studies... process

How and what to teach and learn.
VJOFan

Interpreting Blazevich clef studies... process

Post by VJOFan »

A recent experience online where I got to see a handful of non-professional interpretations of a Blazevich Clef Studies etude prompts this post. Let's just say that there were several drastically different interpretations of the selected piece.

The studies seldom have much in the way of interpretive markings (perhaps some articulations) or, in my edition, even indications of tempo. This one had nothing save for a single accented note in the middle of the page.

For a situation like that, where the printed music is an interpretive blank slate,what's your process for creating the musical argument you will try to make with the piece?
hyperbolica

Re: Interpreting Blazevich clef studies... process

Post by hyperbolica »

Make sure you've got a reason for your choices. If the piece has a certain style, try to be true to the style. I tend to do a chord progression check on it, and then mark phrasing and breaths according to the tonality changes. Maybe you can fit in a cadenza where you can be free with the time. Try it fast and slow, and maybe do a repeated section slow then fast. Even keeping straight time there are a ton of things you can do with articulation, slur, staccato, slur 2 tongue 2, maybe check Arbans for interesting articulation patterns. Even adding ornamentation a la Rochut could be an interesting alternate that would set your performance apart.

I'd really just try a bunch of different methods and techniques and see what speaks to you most, then develop those ideas until it makes sense to you.

It's hard to say how I'd approach it without a particular example.
VJOFan

Re: Interpreting Blazevich clef studies... process

Post by VJOFan »

I thought the question was clear enough, but I guess not.

If there is very little instruction on ANY piece of music, what do you do?

I know what I did: I took into account the nationality, era and experiences of the composer. I compared the etude to similar music I guessed may have influenced the composer to write it. Then I shaped my interpretation to be similar to the music I guessed it was patterned after.

Not looking for advice on a particular problem I'm having.

I just thought it would be interesting to get into the heads of a few colleagues to see how their musical interpretations come to be in absence of recordings or meticulous expression markings ala Mahler.

Even with all that we still make decisions. How do you make yours?

Return to “Teaching & Learning”