Aperture problem?

How and what to teach and learn.
zignald

Aperture problem?

Post by zignald »

Since the COVID pandemic time…I mostly practice in my apartment with the practice mute.... Last week since I can finally find a place to practice without the mute...I found my sound became airy and lips aren’t really responsive.... I thought it’s because I use a bigger aperture when I play with the practice mute.
What should I do now to get recover? :idk:
bassboy

Re: Aperture problem?

Post by bassboy »

Do you have any Doug Elliott rims lying around? Buzzing on the rim can do things for your playing to clean up the things you mentioned that buzzing on the mouthpiece can't.

Also I've found that I developed some issues with pitch when I spent too much time on the practice mute. If you have some decent speakers, might be a good time to bust out some drones to work on pitch.

Lastly, practice some really short, articulated technical exercises or scales. Playing very short can be a quick way to focus the embouchure and get your corners to do their job(s) better.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Have a lesson with Doug Elliott
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Obviously, more playing without the practice mute. In the location where you've used the mute and (presumably) need to be quiet, just do lots of playing that is all at pianissimo. Soft playing is great for the ol' embouchure, anyway.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Return to “Teaching & Learning”