Should I Learn Trombone

How and what to teach and learn.
Tooltimegrunt

Should I Learn Trombone

Post by Tooltimegrunt »

Always loved the bone. Getting ready for retirement and thought I might give it a try. Assuming Im average, would this be realistic? Looking to play pop tunes, jazz by myself.
BGuttman

Re: Should I Learn Trombone

Post by BGuttman »

Sure. You probably should have somebody help you get over the initial stuff like how to buzz and get a few notes out (also how to take care of the instrument). Many music stores will have a teacher who can get you started. After that you can proceed at your own pace. Nobody will be keeping tabs on you. Just learn to have fun.

I'd recommend starting with a good student instrument; preferably one in reasonably good shape. Cheap Chinese instruments often are hard to play, and buying a top line pro horn will be a waste of money at this stage. You probably won't need an F-attachment until you get comfortable with playing the starter horn. In fact, you may not need anything else. A nice Yamaha 354, King 606, or Conn Director can go a long way. And if you insist on buying new it won't break the bank.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
lewbone92

Post by lewbone92 »

Never too late to learn! Since COVID has kept me stuck at home, I decided to try trombone (loving it so much). Once you acquire your first horn (recommending the Yamaha YSL-354, was my first one too!) and figure out assembly/maintenance/the common notes, see if your town has a community/municipal band (some of them welcome musicians regardless of skill level/no audition required/etc. — I’m hoping to join one near me next summer!), you’ll not only gain playing experience but it’s a great way to make new connections in the music world. Love playing jazz (mostly just improvising at the moment :lol:) on a 2B.
Last edited by lewbone92 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amateur trombonist who loves summer community band and wearing four-button polo shirts.
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

Try to rent for a couple months first. You will have all the time you need when you retire. :good: Think about a practice mute too if you have others/animals in the house. :horror:

It will be fun.
Steve
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

You're not alone at all. At a future time, when music groups can get back together, you could see if there is a New Horizons band nearby.
https://newhorizonsmusic.org/new-horizons-groups/
mfturner

Post by mfturner »

I'm 57 years old, a month after my birthday this year, covid forced me to work from home, and I picked up my kids pBone for the first time. I've never played a brass instrument before this, my kid helped me get started and now I'm having fun. It's slow, but fun, i joke that I'm a middle school kid.

BTW, I'm unsure i would suggest a pBone as a starting point, my kids old Conn 24h is much easier to play (especially high notes), even swapping mouthpieces, and now that this kid is in college i use the 24h once a week as a treat to myself. But the pBone is almost indestructible, and I can keep the slide in good shape easily with 600 grit sandpaper, and drying the brass stockings after playing.

Practice where you aren't self conscious if you can, our minivan works well, and our Sprinter even better. Or a mute.

VJOFan, thank you for that link, the band in Loveland is very close to our new house for a year from now.
Savio

Post by Savio »

Tooltimegrunt wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:56 am Always loved the bone. Getting ready for retirement and thought I might give it a try. Assuming Im average, would this be realistic? Looking to play pop tunes, jazz by myself.
Absolutely! And yes it is realistic. Best way to learn is to play melodies.

Leif
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

With a tenor sax it would be much easier to get to a level where you can play "anything" just for fun.
But if it is the trombone specifically that you're interested in - go ahead and good luck :good:
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF
tctb

Post by tctb »

I started to learn the trombone in my sixties and have never regretted it . I started on a Yamaha YSL 354 but changed fairly quickly to a YSL 445 as I found it more comfortable play . Go for it ! I wish I had started sooner !
If I had known trombones were this much fun , I would have got one sooner! :cool:
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Go for it. It is amazing how quickly something comes when you really want it to. If you get started now, you will be playing Christmas tunes come December and improvising around "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" by Mardi Gras. Or Easter. Regardless, it will come, and it will come quicker than you imagined it could. And it will be fun each step of the way.

Ditto on the Yamaha 354. Consider buying one from a good local store, one that offers lessons and has a repair guy. Establishing a relationship with a good shop will pay dividends, and you will be glad you gave them your business every time you step in the door. New is not out of line and student/rental returns are available.
Last edited by PaulT on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

If playing the trombone is the thing you want to do, then go for it but do invest in lessons with a local pro trombone player it will speed up your learning and get you to the music bit quicker
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

A head's up. The Yamaha 200 and the 354 are essentially the same horn. Yamaha markets the 200 to brick and mortar stores in order to offer them some separation from on-line vendors. Same horn, perhaps a little nicer package. Nothing to break a sweat over. Either one.

And, (proceeding with caution), Yamaha student horns are recommended without hesitation across all instrument types. That is not the case with Bach student horns. Yamaha student horns have superb and consistent build quality. A pro would have no qualms over using a 354 for a performance (provided it was a performance that required a small bore horn).
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

I recommend the Rubank method. It consists of a graduated series starting with beginners' level. It's a remarkably quick and comprehensive way to learn trombone, music, and musicality; it engages the mind and develops skills solidly. Books are usually available on eBay, and they're remarkably affordable.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

[improvising, not improving]
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Yeah, anyone can learn a new skill. Go for it.
Splendour

Post by Splendour »

Definitely go for it. Before Covid I regularly played alongside a trombone player who only started in his late 60's, and 3 years after he started was playing regularly with 2 brass bands and a jazz group.
Vegastokc

Post by Vegastokc »

On the other hand, does the world really need any more trombone players?

Just kidding ! :lol:
After 20 years of not playing, I started up again three years ago almost starting from scratch and joined a community band.
As a kid I hating practicing, now I literally think about it throughout the day at work.
My only regret is that I did not start up again sooner.
Play on brother.
(Trumpet and euphomium players think they have the most powerful instruments, but it takes a special person to weld the power of the trombone. :D )
Michael Saffier
I ate twice as much lasagna as I should have...
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

You are not too old to enjoy it.

If you are truly serious, then the real question should be whether to pick up a small-bore tenor, a large-bore tenor or a bass trombone.

When I started, I looked around for stuff to play. There was virtually no pop ballads for bass trombone in publication from the usual sources. I didn't realize at the time that I could play bass in the tenor range or simply play the music down an octave. All I saw was a mass of classical literature for bass trombone and that did not interest me. So I picked up a tenor. Now I play both and yes, even some classical b/c it's good medicine for me
jazztonight

Post by jazztonight »

It's been a month since you first asked the question, and I hope you've jumped in!

I started playing the trombone when I was about 72, so I don't think you're too old. Thanks to being retired and then the Covid lockdown, I've been practicing an hour or more a day for the last 2 years. I took a lesson early on and watched numerous YouTube instruction videos. As a musician (piano, sax, flute), I already know theory, but this is my first brass instrument--it's been a humbling experience to say the least. I'm now working with a local pro, taking lessons every other week.

It's all about: Long tones, lip slurs, major scales in all keys, Rochut, and playing along with play-along tracks (Aebersold, iRealPro, etc.). Doug Elliott recommended free buzzing, and I do it every day.

Playing the trombone is challenging but well worth it. I started on an old Conn that was gifted to me; then I bought a used Yamaha (200, same as YSL-354) and I love it. After trying 3 or 4 mouthpieces, I've got one I really like.

Best of luck to you!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
tctb

Post by tctb »

i hope you have jumped in and made start . There is no right way to become a trombone player though there will be lots of advice from people who have gone before you. It is so much fun you realy don't want to miss out! There will be plenty of advice from this site . Enjoy yourself!
If I had known trombones were this much fun , I would have got one sooner! :cool:

Return to “Teaching & Learning”