Similar to Snedecor

How and what to teach and learn.
hyperbolica

Similar to Snedecor

Post by hyperbolica »

I recently picked up a copy of Snedecor Lyrical Etudes for Trombone. He has a range of styles from modernish to baroque-ish. Some of it takes a little growing on you, and some is immediately fun to play.

Are there any other books or collections of interesting etudes that anyone uses or knows of? I've got all 3 Rochuts plus the standard Kopprasch, Mantia, Arbans, Slama, Ostrander, Bitsch, LaFosse, etc.

What are your favorite etude books that no one knows about?
BGuttman

Re: Similar to Snedecor

Post by BGuttman »

Not one that nobody knows about, but now somewhat tough to find: Tommy Pederson's books. Some are in print, some not.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Confined to playing at home as we have mostly been for more than 6 months, I purchased a copy of the Snedecor Lyrical Études, and have enjoyed playing them.

And I purchased the Giuseppe Concone 15 Vocalises, Op. 12 [Alphonse Leduc AL 28602], also all in tenor clef. Not as well printed as the Snedecor (seems to be from a photocopy, so a little harder to read), and more "academic" than the fun melodies from Snedecor, and also more difficult – but all-in-all, a valuable addition to my music collection.

Anything that makes me concentrate and work at improving my trombone playing, without being so impossible that I give up, is worthwhile.

But I'd still rather be playing in my orchestra, big band, chamber ensemble, jazz combo, trombone choir, ...
:weep:
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

Of all the above books mentioned, the Rochut etudes and Arbans Fantasies are the only ones I know of that have mp3 keyboard accompaniments available.
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

Although it's not exactly a book that "no one knows about," H.W. Tyrell's 40 Progressive Studies for Trombone (Boosey and Hawkes) has a nice variety of one-page etudes.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Ok, well I ordered the Tyrell, Conconne, Pederson, and some of the Pederson duets and trios and a combination of stuff for tenor and bass. I'll report back with my impressions. The more I play the Snedecor, though, the more I like it. He also seems to have some well respected stuff for tuba.

There's so much of this historical music etude and studies books available, but you'd think there'd be more contemporary/pop style stuff aside from Disney play-alongs. You've got Aharoni, who wrote a great bass bone book on various pop styles, and then a JJ Johnson jazz book, which isn't that great, and even the Michael Davis Bone Kill or the Bob McChesney book are not to me really compelling jazz books. They're amazing performers, but that doesn't translate into a book that takes you on this progressive journey through modern style and technique like the 3 well worn classic books of Rochut/Bordogni.
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

I really enjoy playing Brad Edwards' stuff. I have his Lip Slur melodies book. He has some other books that look great as well, but I have not experienced them yet .

https://www.trombonezone.org/books/
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

My Tyrell and Chacone and other books arrived today. As mentioned, the Tyrell starts very David or Kopprasch-like, and then changes.

The Chacone is kind of 2nd book Rochut. Nice books. Nothing really break-out, but great stuff to read and work on skills. I'm using them to work on valves in tough keys.

Thanks for the suggestions. I still think we need a forum area to talk about nusic books and printed music.
biggiesmalls

Post by biggiesmalls »

Another book I've found very useful over the years is Ferdinand Seiber's Thirty-Six Eight-Measure Vocalises For Elementary Vocal Teaching (baritone edition), available here as a free download (link will give an error code but will redirect to the download after 10 seconds):

https://kupdf.net/queue/sieber-36-eight ... dmMDoyZjg4

These pieces play like little mini-Rochut/Bordogni etudes. They're short enough to be easily memorized, allowing me to give my undivided attention to the tuner while I play each one, making them very useful for working on equal temperament. I usually sing each etude twice before playing it, using the syllables for both damenization and solminization. Covers all keys except F#/C#/Cb, with a lot of variation in dynamics. I typically sing/play half of the book, take a short break, then sing/play the remainder.

There are also alto and bass versions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Thank you, those look nice.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”