Going between instruments.

How and what to teach and learn.
JCBone

Going between instruments.

Post by JCBone »

I am doing a concert where I have to go between alto bass for 2 different pieces. I don't know the order or if I will have time to warmup up on each instrument. Any advice? I have about a week to prepare.
TubaDavey

Re: Going between instruments.

Post by TubaDavey »

Take the week and practice switching between the two in quick succession; for example, playing through an etude book (preferably stuff you know pretty solid) and just go back and forth 1 on alto, next on bass, etc. Maybe not as solid as it could be with only a week prep time, but it will at least not be completely unfamiliar.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Had kind of the same challenge last year. Playing tenor (first) in the Cesar Franck Symphony, tenor and euphonium in brass ensemble and alto in Haydn's Creation at the same concert. Little time between, but no possibility to warm up on the instruments. It wasn't great, but also not too bad. Most challenging was the alto part. But that's challenging also without the doubling.

Next year summer I will probably play a trombone ensemble concert either playing bass (including solo in Blue Topaz) and large and/or small tenor OR large/small tenor and alto. I also could play bass and alto if I wanted to, but I don't really fancy that idea :-D

I try to have all relevant mouthpieces on my face everyday, even if it's just some buzzing, which makes the switching much easier. Obviously an overall strong foundation and preparation will hopefully help. I might simply prepare by practicing the pieces on the specific instruments without any warmup inbetween. This is probably the reality test that you may want to exercise a few times before the actual performance.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I played a gig where I had to double on bass trombone and tuba, often switching between them in a bar or two :shock:

I practiced both every day, although not necessarily the switch (I had worked out a way to play the trombone over the tuba resting in my lap).

I also had a concert where I played tenor and alto, but in different halves of the concert so I could warm up the other horn during intermission.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
JCBone

Post by JCBone »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:51 am I played a gig where I had to double on bass trombone and tuba, often switching between them in a bar or two :shock:

I practiced both every day, although not necessarily the switch (I had worked out a way to play the trombone over the tuba resting in my lap).

I also had a concert where I played tenor and alto, but in different halves of the concert so I could warm up the other horn during intermission.
I hope I will have time to warm up between pieces. Anyways, in both of the pieces I only play during the ffinal movement. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

JCBone wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 am
BGuttman wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:51 am I played a gig where I had to double on bass trombone and tuba, often switching between them in a bar or two :shock:

I hope I will have time to warm up between pieces. Anyways, in both of the pieces I only play during the final movement. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
Having to sit on stage and not play through most of a piece is always bad. I remember playing 3 such pieces: Beethoven 5, Beethoven 6, and Brahms 1 where I had to sit through around 3 movements of [glorious] music waiting to come in. Your horn gets cold and any warmup you had done is gone. Make sure you know where your pitch will be after the rest; you may need to compensate your positions a bit.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

JCBone wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:36 am I am doing a concert where I have to go between alto bass for 2 different pieces. I don't know the order or if I will have time to warmup up on each instrument. Any advice? I have about a week to prepare.
I don't think there is a shortcut to this skill. I believe you have to practice as close to the actual circumstances possible. This means assume there is no time for warmup and little time for preparation and a maximum of instrument changes. First I think you need a very well trained emboushure on one instrument and the ability to play descent on another size mouthpiece before you stress your switching techniques

What skills needs to be there?

1. Ability to switch back and forth from any mouthpiece. Practice this every day and all the instruments you need to master.

2 Make sure you learn to read music in every clef. Good reading ability and a method to do fast interpretation of what to play is crucial. Listen to the music. If it is a symphonic piece then get a copy of all the trombone parts and the tuba part as well. It helps to know what all are doing when you play your part whether it is alto, tenor, bass or tuba. You need to reducee the time to learn parts because you will be too occupied with switching problems.

3. Practice to play cold. Have the instrument on a stand and do a lot of sessions with five minutes of rest in between. First thing can be a short warmup in the morning if you really need that to be able to awaken your body but then put the instrument/s on a stand for five minutes and do something else. Then pick up the instrument and start to play with no hesitation. Play anything you can think of; folksongs, scales, arpeggios, orchestral parts. Do not warmup in between and do not restart phrases. One take only.. At first you can practice like this on one single instrument, later you can do it with different instruments.

/Tom
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

You have to get used to not feeling 100% on either horn. Sound concept is number one, I think if you can develop this on each horn that’s most of the battle, and you’ll find switching easier.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”